Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Andreas
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post by Andreas »

I meant it just figures that I would have to ditch it. I just had to laugh.

Ok, so I have a LOT of electronics stuff bc of various projects. I actually have 5 different thermistors on hand, but they only go to 150 C. I have 10 digital temp probes, but only good to 125 C. I have a bare K thermocouple with high temp lead - good to at least 300 C. I also have a K thermocouple amplifier breakout board (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1778). I think the thermocouple is the way to go considering the temp limits like you mentioned below.

I just found out that the thermocouple that I installed is a k type, so I guess I am all set. I can use the adafruit amplifier with it. I can mess with the code too (I'm a programmer) when I get to it and you can vet it or however you want to handle that.

Off to the garage!
Fred

Post by Fred »

You can get an OK reading out of it, no worries. The curve you setup will be railed before the termocouple is done, though. But that won't affect you, hopefully. (your engine would probably melt before then...). The trouble is the noise. You can beat that, but you have to be careful and know what you're doing.

A typical thermistor is a curve, hence straight V vs T lookup, but yours will be roughly linear between 0 and 5V, however IIRC 5V is likely to be 1000C, so you'll just be using 0-2V or so, and within that, quite a large temperature range. The 2.5-5V range will all just have the max temperature possible for the CHT variable in them.

In conjunction with that, the stock warm up curve will be all wrong for you. The internet probably has some ideas how it should look, but they'll all be dependent on the sensor style/installation, and not necessarily applicable to you.I would probably approach it from a rough guess for richness at cold start either flat across the table, or guessed down to zero enrich, and once started, tweak the values to work well as it warms up. Warm up is a pain, anyway. You get one shot to adjust it each day.

Keep it up. Loving the enthusiasm and regular updates :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Cool, those are all surmountable issues.

For your further viewing pleasure:

Be free, my dear engine....

...but don't get comfortable....you'll be installed today!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I cleaned out the bell housing and put in a new thrust bearing.

I installed a new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate....and this is where I'm at....

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Had to buy the nut.

In place....

Lowering the car...Had to take off some stuff including the EFI...

Raising the engine...

Engine in!

I'm taking a break until tomorrow! :D
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I increased the spring tension on the rear of the car today. It is a little dangerous so it is good I still can type. I'll have to see how the car sits when I get it on its wheels.

I also finished up the drum brakes on the rear. I just have to put the new shocks back in for the rear before I put the rear wheels on. I had to take them out to do the springs.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Yesterday and this morning, I pressed the wheel bearing races into the discs and installed the brake calipers. The brakes are all done except for hooking up the hoses in the front and bleeding the system. Then I can mount all four wheels -- more exciting for me than you. :)

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I mounted the sway bar and attached the brake cables. I'm looking for the brake reservoir's cap so I can use it for my one-person pressurized brake bleeder, but it is on holiday or something. Why wouldn't I be able to find something in this mess??

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

In case you wanted to know what happened to me. So, my wife and I separated 4 months ago or so. Since it is my wife's car, I haven't touched it. I just started up on it again because otherwise it will just sit around forever. Also, I have paid for everything, so really it is my car until we work out a deal and she can buy it from me. We are getting along well, however. She says she will pay for it and I can drive it around when I want......so that's something, at least.

I decided to get it on wheels. I needed to bleed the brakes first, but no matter what I did, the brake pedal went to the floor. I found a leak where the brake line is in the center tunnel. I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet, but will. I also decided to order a pre-populated Jaguar board from Andy. So, hopefully I'll get it running in the next month!

It needs a paint job and a bunch of interior work as well.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry to hear that, man! Mine has been up and down recently, too. Hopefully some sunshine and cashflow and beach-time sort things out.

Good to see some more pics of it. I can never get enough of pics of VWs :-) Unless they're water cooled, then one is too much :-D

Check this thread out, when you get a chance :-) viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2742
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!