Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Andreas
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post by Andreas »

I want to start out with just (wasted) spark, but then go to fuel injection. Fuel injection requires me to do a bunch of intake work.

I have ordered a 36:1 signal wheel, position sensor (I think it is hall - how do I know? http://www.ebay.com/itm/261877013013), 02 sensor, and Bosch coil (http://www.ebay.com/itm/391186786011).

I need to get a MAP sensor, IAT sensor and CHT sensor too. For fuel, I'll get a throttle body with a TPS at some point. I also need to make a Mouser order for the board.

I don't know if this is the right place to put my project thread, so feel free to move it. ;)
Fred

Re: Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post by Fred »

MAP is included on your Jaguar 0.7 unless you specifically asked for it not to be. You'll need 2mm ID silicone hose for the initial connection, preferably strain relieved and bulkheaded with a nipple.

IAT must be of the open element type, so get a common GM one and then you need to mount it somewhere with great airflow, which on a beetle would probably be right at the intake of the cooling fan, or perhaps somewhere else. The key is a balance between radiant heat (low as possible in a cool and insulative environment) and good airflow to keep the element near ambient, whatever that is.

CHT, you'll have to engineer a solution for, as close to your combustion chamber as possible amongst the fins :-)

This is the right place for building your actual PCB up to a usable unit with pics etc. The right place for your car mods/install/etc is probably users' rides. Let me know your intention and I'll make it right.

I have a few VW air cooled engines, but I suspect you'll beat me to running one! Damn it! :-D More than happy to help, though, I love them!

Some motivation for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95UxTC22V9o

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Re hall/VR, VR usually has two wires (maybe with shield), and is magnetic, and hall usually has 3 (power, ground and open collector output) and might be magnetic. Your Jaguar needs to be setup specifically for which ever it is. So don't assemble the RPM section until you KNOW this for sure.
MrOnion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by MrOnion »

Those VW crank sensors are usually VR. Two pins for signal and one for shield as Fred already mentioned.

I have few of those sensors so can check the pinout later if needed.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Move me to the user's rides section then....I don't think I'll be doing a detailed build of the Jaguar board -- I'll just have a few questions as I go along.

We will see how long it takes me to get this going. I bought this car last week for my wife as a surprise birthday present. It needs some work. I checked compression and changed spark plugs yesterday. One or two cylinders have low compression. I don't know the number because one of them has a stripped spark plug hole! I'll have to pull the engine at the very least which apparently isn't that difficult. I have ideas about doing a turbo, but bumping up to 2 or more liters would be a good start. I don't want to get too crazy since it won't be my car and my wife cares more about it being pretty. :)

Looks like I have a hall sensor since it has 3 leads in the connector.

I was going to do an external MAP, but I guess I'll go internal since I see the board is setup for the SMD components.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Andreas wrote:We will see how long it takes me to get this going. I bought this car last week for my wife as a surprise birthday present. It needs some work. I checked compression and changed spark plugs yesterday. One or two cylinders have low compression. I don't know the number because one of them has a stripped spark plug hole! I'll have to pull the engine at the very least which apparently isn't that difficult. I have ideas about doing a turbo, but bumping up to 2 or more liters would be a good start. I don't want to get too crazy since it won't be my car and my wife cares more about it being pretty. :)
Awesome gift! May I ask how much it cost? Those things are super pricey here now. I had a ride in an early split window kombi a while back, the owner had paid upward of 50,000nzd for it. Mind blowing. Pretty, though :-)

Unless she's a petrol head, you should probably either get more capacity OR boost it, but not both. A volkswagon with 200+hp is pretty fast :-D
Looks like I have a hall sensor since it has 3 leads in the connector.
MrOnion is a pretty onto it dude and is right that 3 leads could be shield to the device. I'm not sure how safe it would be to try to measure coil resistance through it if it's a hall unit. You'll need some sort of pin out anyway, though, as wiring 5V up backward is probably pretty unsafe indeed.
I was going to do an external MAP, but I guess I'll go internal since I see the board is setup for the SMD components.
Up to you, however make a call and stick to it. Where are you planning to mount the ECU? I'm not familiar with the tinware of a Ghai, but feel free to explain.

Those facebook links die after a fairly short time, so I reuploaded the image for you:

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

The guy wanted $3000, but I talked him down to $1750. It needs all new interior, paint....I am replacing gas tank, shocks, steering damper, one tie rod assembly, tires, fuel sender, ball joints, brake pads/rotors, gaskets/rubbber everywhere and tune up parts. It is not a rust bucket, but does need a new pan on the front driver's side. My wife also wants bumpers, but I have located a "parts" Ghia a few minutes from my house for $300! Bumpers new are $1200! All in all, a good deal and I'm not risking much except I've spent $1000 in parts in the last week. I also found a set of (heated) Jetta seats for $50 that I'm going to put in next week.

Yesterday I got it running well. The previous owner adjusted the carb so the choke was always on because the idle circuit was clogged. I fixed both those problems. ;) I hope the plug doesn't blow out anytime soon so I can take my time.

I'd like to get EFI going and that should give me a few extra HP since I won't be as restricted at the carb and intake. Then I'll decide whether to go to 1.6 or 2+L.

I have the hall/VR sensor now so I can test it if I have a procedure. I have an LCR meter if that makes any difference.
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

This is both impressive and exciting. And your price haggling skills are unparalleled. Nice job.

-Jeff
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

:lol2: I'm not the best haggler in the world. I just was not going to pay anywhere close to $3000.

Today I put a short shift kit in, new steering bushing and coupler. That took way too long. I think the trigger wheel's center hole might be pretty close to the VW pulley bolt diameter. I'll have to pull it to make sure.

Then I need to finish entering all the parts I need from Mouser for the Jaguar board. I'll do a search to see if I can find out how to tell what kind of pulse sensor I have.

The beautiful interior! :mrgreen:

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Apparently can't edit my post, so here goes again.

Beautiful interior!

http://i.imgur.com/v565JOW.jpg