Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Andreas
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post by Andreas »

I'm in the middle of starting a business so who knows how far I'll get before pausing, but I received a new benchtop mill today. I'm going to bore out the head and case this week after a bit of practice. I almost forgot I owned a Ghia....it has been so long! :oops:
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I cleaned and trammed the mill. Did some practice cuts. I like the mill so far. I haven't used one before, but have built a pretty crazy CNC router (the mill is actually mounted to it) so some carries over. I'm ready to start in the morning... I have a bunch of other stuff to do before I leave for a long weekend so not sure how much I'll get done.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

It took me 5 hours to do this...but I was also trying to construct a better holding tool for my dial indicator and then I had to make a left handed boring bar. The results were pretty good though so I can't complain too much.

From 85.5mm-->94mm cylinders...
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Embiggened the holes for more zoomitude. Finally.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Sorry about the big pic last post. I tried to edit it, but it was past the 5 minutes.

I've been experimenting trying to figure out how I was going to clean the engine parts. Either something didn't work, wasn't good for aluminum, made a mess, needed special disposal, blah blah blah

I had a HF gravity feed gun that never worked right. I bought a different one that feeds from a tube...and gets good reviews. The tip isn't replaceable, but I'm using walnut shells and steel is harder so it shouldn't wear much or at all. The results are quite good. Also, I made my own $250 blasting cabinet for $50. It works good enough for me.

Another nice thing is that it is really easy to clean between all of the fins. It helps with cooling if there isn't decades worth of oil baked on them.

This took 5-10 minutes, but probably closer to 5.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

The other head and both halves of the case were walnut shell blasted. I removed the oil galley plugs and tapped the holes for threaded plugs. I ground and lapped the valves. I cleaned out the deepest, darkest crevices of the case. I should be able to start assembly tomorrow! Even when I have it together it won't run for a while since I have to get the Jaguar board built and EFI and all the ridiculous stuff I have planned for the engine. :roll:
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I'm starting to assemble the engine! I think I'll leave out the distributor drive. ;) I should be able to get the case together and work on the piston/cylinders and heads today.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Sweet! :-)

If you ever want to go COP or sequential, having that drive in might be useful for some type of cam sync signal. No real need, though. Semi-sequential and wasted spark work admirably on most engines.

PS, I'm reading all of your posts, but trying not to spam your thread with "i like this" type comments.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Apparently I can always add it later. There is no need to crack the case. Below is where I was paused for 3.5 hours today while I looked for the spring keepers for one of the heads. I looked EVERYWHERE. I might just have to order some. I swear, I look for things more than assembling.

Fred, I know you are watching. I have no problem with "I like this" posts or no posts. :)

ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

We're all watching. This thread has me glued to the computer.

-Jeff