one old Opel - my first project

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
alekss
TO92 - Vaguely active

one old Opel - my first project

Post by alekss »

hello to all,

1st of all i want to mark that English is not my first language so , sorry if i make some mistakes. :(

my name is Alekss and i comming from small country in Europe ( Bosnia and Hercegovina ), i work with cars and computers all my life.
i decided to connect that two things and make one ''special'' car, that is Opel Kadett C with 1,2 liter atmo engine.
my wish is to convert him on fuel injection engine.
one guy from Croatia have same car and engine with turbo and MS with arround 150+ PS...but i want to make it from opensource :)

this is my firs meet with DIY-EFI, so be gently, i have milion questions.
i read everything from pages but still i have some unknown things in my head :)

so lets start

hardware parts for engine which i have in my garage
1. fuel pump 4bar max
2. crankshaft position sensor and trigger 60-2
3. manual fuel pressure regulator 0.5-6 bar
4. 2 new high impedance injectors ( later i will explain why i need to use only 2 on 4piston engine)
5. custom made intake mainfold for that engine
6. TPS sensor
7. IAT sensor
8. 2x2 waster spark ignition coil
9. 4pcs of coil over plug from LS1 engine
10. lot of other parts from cars with fuel injection, but i can buy something what i need.

so here is my ''wishlist'' for project and EFI

1st of all, i want to make PCB by my self for EFI ( or to buy only PCB without any components)
2- i want to engine run on full sequential fuel injection and spark ignition ( if is that possible)
3- i want to have LPG injection on engine ( because LPG in my country cost 0.3$/liter ) ( LPG isnt necessary )
4- engine will later be a turbo charged, so i need prepraration for that.

so thats short preview of my project. if somebody can to help me with this i will be happy.
for start i need to somebody says me which type of DIYEFI i need to use for this engine setup.
later i will need digital file to make pcb layout by my self, or somebody send me link to buy only a PCB.

after that we can start this project...

thanks for reading this, your time, help and comments...

cheers
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: one old Opel - my first project

Post by masterkorp »

Hello, and welcome.

We have the same car.
Nice machines!
alekss
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by alekss »

yes,they are great cars :)

1.2 ohv engine have a lot of unexplored potential :)
perfect car for all custom work
:)
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Alekss,

Welcome to DIYEFI :)

As someone who has 2 running FreeEMS engines (one of which is a semi-daily driver, see the links in my signature), I can help answer some of your questions.
alekss wrote:i decided to connect that two things and make one ''special'' car, that is Opel Kadett C with 1,2 liter atmo engine.
Very nice, I used to have a pair (1970 and 1972) of Opel GTs many years ago with the 1.9L engine.
alekss wrote:my wish is to convert him on fuel injection engine.
You have arrived at the right place :)
alekss wrote:this is my firs meet with DIY-EFI, so be gently, i have milion questions.
i read everything from pages but still i have some unknown things in my head :)
Ok, cool, ask away :)
alekss wrote:1st of all, i want to make PCB by my self for EFI ( or to buy only PCB without any components)
Cool, you can design it with KiCAD and you can base it off of the Jaguar schematics https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar (make sure you look at the "dev" branch), or you can purchase one of my Jaguar PCBs and install the components, see viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2457.

See the Jaguar PCB licensing at: https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/blob/dev/LICENSE.md
alekss wrote:2- i want to engine run on full sequential fuel injection and spark ignition ( if is that possible)
4 cylinder sequential injection and wasted spark ignition are possible now with a Jaguar PCB and FreeEMS, future firmware development could lead to sequential injection and COP.
alekss wrote:3- i want to have LPG injection on engine ( because LPG in my country cost 0.3$/liter ) ( LPG isnt necessary )
This could be possible with future firmware development. :)
alekss wrote:4- engine will later be a turbo charged, so i need prepraration for that.
Cool, I plan on adding a turbo to my FreeEMS'ed S10 4 cylinder as well (which is running on a Jaguar 0.7-alpha PCB).
alekss wrote:so thats short preview of my project. if somebody can to help me with this i will be happy.
There is a whole community here to help and we all have various backgrounds.
alekss wrote:for start i need to somebody says me which type of DIYEFI i need to use for this engine setup.
later i will need digital file to make pcb layout by my self, or somebody send me link to buy only a PCB.
For what you are wanting to accomplish with your engine, the Jaguar PCB would be a good fit if you need something now. Or if you really want to set down and design your own PCB, I would recommend looking at my Jaguar repository on github.com, which I linked above.
alekss
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by alekss »

@DeuceEFI

thank you for your answers :) this is my first forum where i think i can freely show my ideas about car.
forums in my country are oriented to profit and they doesn't share too much informations.
my professional orientation on my job is to opensource solutions ( free things are better for world )

so you had ''small corvette'' how we call Opel GT.... 1.9CIH engine is ''son'' of my 1.2OHV engine, so they have a lot similar things at all.

so lets back to project.

your answers are great. for start i will try to make my own PCB, because shipping from USA cost too much :'(

can you put here final version of Jaguar PCB, cos i still cant find schematics on your link??
all files under PCB folder are over 2 years old...

and i need full parts list to i can order them from local supplyer or global ebay ....

thank a lot one more time :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Be careful which branch you're on. One is old, one is newer, then there are others, and there are tags, too.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Alekss, you will want to start with the information in this release (0.7-alpha), as it is the current hardware release version:
https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar/tree/0.7-alpha

or:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar.git
cd Jaguar
git checkout 0.7-alpha
Then look in the "docs" directory for the schematics and Bill-Of-Materials (BOM)
or open KiCAD then you can open the Jaguar.pro file to see the whole design 8-)

Don't try to make something using the files in the dev branch, that is the branch I make changes to so everyone can review my changes.