Fred's 1994 Type R Mazda Lantis

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Fred's 1994 Type R Mazda Lantis

Post by Fred »

Fueled up, thanks to bad running and constant abuse if being used at all, it got this abysmal usage rate:

https://twitter.com/FredCookeNZ/status/ ... 7633338368

And of course, I gave it some more abuse :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Fred's 1994 Type R Mazda Lantis

Post by Fred »

Haven't posted here for a while, but this bloody thing is still going. It has had a broken window a new wing mirror (again) and some oil topped up into it. Due (overdue) for a proper oil change in 500km or so. But I was driving it the other night and I thought:

This car is on its last legs. Exhaust is leaky and it may not make it through another inspection or if it does, another two. What should I do with it? Well, I have a few possible ideas:

1) Bring it in, strip the good mechanical bits off it, sell the rest, crush it
2) Strip it a month or two before the end of the next WOF and drive it around with: no rear/passenger seats, no side glass, no interior panels, no bonnet reinforcing, etc etc, basically try to get it down to 1000kg from the 1200 it's at now and enjoy a short-term street pocket rocket before doing 1.
3) Ship it to the USA as is, let some mazda nut enjoy the JDM rareness :-D I have one guy in mind...

So I'll keep trying to keep it on the street but the first major work required = dead. I do not want to put time/effort into muffler repairs on this pile of junk, no way. I love driving it, but I've had my fun. Ready to let it go 5.5 years later, 1680nzd is about 300 per year if I get zero from it and 450 including street legality, not bad motoring, that's only 5 tanks of gas per year to match/exceed.

So, next thing you see might be a stripped car and videos of it on onramps revving hard, or a truck taking it away with no engine/box/axles/hubs/struts/wheels. We'll see.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!