Stroker FE TPI and LSx coil near plug

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
joey120373
QFP80 - Contributor

Stroker FE TPI and LSx coil near plug

Post by joey120373 »

I'm afraid i already screwed up, I posted a proposed new board design in the fledgling design section and then posted here,... hopefully the post will be approved and i can link this thread to it.

I am in the middle of a couple of projects at the moment, as of this moment they are based on another controller, but I would like to end up using FreeEMS because i like the open source approach.

First project is several years old, My motorcycle. I have had it running on MS for a brief period, but removed it because of reliability concerns, with very limited room i wasn't able to get a weather proof case/connector to fit anywhere.
I designed a one off prototype board that is small, uses a waterproof connector, and a friend of mine will be machining a billet aluminum case to both seal out water, and act as a heat-sink.

My newest 2 projects are ford trucks, a co-worker already has one running and we will be installing a TBI unit on it soon, as "winter is coming" I wont be able to do anything with my motorcycle, but i can test out my motorcycle board on his truck. My hope is that the board will work, or it will point out trouble areas on the board that can hopefully be resolved.

So what does this have to do with FreeEMS? Glad you asked, both my co-worker and i eventually want to use port fuel injection and GM LSx style coil-near-plug ignition. While the TBI is a step up from a carb, it is still prone to intake manifold "wet flow" characteristics, and those familiar with FE series motors will know that FE port layout is no where near ideal for wet flow, all of the intake ports are more or less pointed away from the carb. We already have 2 intakes we are in the process of modifying to TPI, but it will be awhile before either of us is ready to install everything. My motor has yet to be built :(.

So, as i stated in the fledgling thread, if i have any success at all with my little motorcycle board, it will go onto my bike next spring. As for the two truck engines, i think it would be awesome to build a custom FreeEMS board or two to fully modernize a couple of old trucks. And if my board layout and component choice works on my small board, re-designing it for more injector and spark outputs shouldn't be too painfull. Sure, i could spend a ton of $$$ on an MS3, but where's the fun in that? its 75% pre-assembled and needs to be installed in the glove box because its not weatherproof and its just plain ugly. I would much rather design and build one.

His motor is a 390 with Edelbrock preformer-RPM heads and a barely street-able cam, My motor will be a 460ish stroker FE with Blue thunder heads and a mild "stump puller" cam.
Fred

Re: Stroker FE TPI and LSx coil near plug

Post by Fred »

Good to hear! You have the right approach re bike first, bigger badder stuff later.

Agreed re MS3 impl being ugly as sin.

I'm running TBI on my daily driver, and the only issue is dodgy cold starts, however I've not really implemented anything to help that, and I've not really put much into tuning it either. On the other hand, last weekend, I got it started at the top of a mountain without baro correction and with snow around, so it can't be too bad :-D

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!