90 Mazda Miata FE3T Build

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
PGTFE3T
TO220 - Visibile

90 Mazda Miata FE3T Build

Post by PGTFE3T »

Hello Everyone,

A little bit of background about myself and my project. I got a 1990 Ford Probe GT as my first car, it was a good platform to learn on, came stock turbo and had potential to go fast for little work. As I modified it with the easy to do upgrades, everyone who wanted serious power went to the FE3N motor, 2.0L DOHC motor. Higher revs, Much more potential, etc. I started sourcing parts for the build, Turbo manifold, Turbo, Clutch etc. Meanwhile I was still driving the F2T at the drag strip and took it to an autocross. Turns out the front end heavy, torque monster FWD car wasn't that fun around corners and I lost my ambition to continue towards a 400WHP FWD car. I still loved the though of this new motor and decided to move to a new car that had gotten this motor as a transplant. I originally bought a Turbo II RX7, but it turned out to be too rusted and needed too much overall work to make it worth building. I rethought my goals, and I wanted a reliable 240-280WHP RWD, 50/50, Mazda car that could take the FE3. I ended up with a Miata.

Once deciding on the Miata, I could then figure out (through other peoples trial and error) where to begin my build. I needed a custom oil pan, oil pickup, motor mounts, intake manifold, a new turbo manifold (as mine was FWD), hybrid the FE3 and Miata CAS, get a form of EMS to run the motor. 2 years after purchasing my first Miata, I had designed and had an oil pan/pickup and motor mounts welded up. Also had a local welding shop butcher a fe3/miata intake manifold together. I started it for the first time in the summer of 2011 for about 10 seconds as I had to exhaust manifold on it and it just shot out flames.

Sept 2012 I started the FE3 swap, and by sping of 2013 the motor was in the car and cranking. Took a few months to diagnose that the FE3/Miata cas was the issue and the connector had broken so I built a new one and she fired right up. Last summer I worked out all the glitches I had with the B2200 shifter fork and release bearings and but on a drilled out BP NA header and installed a narrowband on it, and had it running and driving on a stock Miata ECU.

Dec 2013 It was at this point that my measurements for the oil pan and motor mounts were found to be out and a new pan was needed to be made to clear the hood, also I went ahead and got a new RWD top mount turbo manifold, 3" Turbo back exhaust, External wastegate that plumbs back in, FMIC, and 2.5" IC piping, and a custom Intake Manifold made.

April 2013 My car is still at the shop being worked on and all the exhaust work is done, I should be getting it back in a few weeks to finish off all the little things, such as Oil/coolant lines, and other misc things.

Car Specs:

1990 Miata
FE3N 2.0L
B2200 Bell housing
B2200 Flywheel
B2200 Clutch Fork
MX6 2.5L LS Pressure plate/clutch, Release bearing
Custom Turbo Setup (SCH 10 1.5" SS)
Custom FMIC/Piping (Rated at 350WHP)
Custom Intake Manifold (Chopped up FE3 IM)
550cc Injectors
Walbro 255LPH Fuel pump
Garrett T3/4 50 Trim, Journal bearing, Oil/Coolant cooled

Items still needing to be Installed:

FE5A Cams (Own)
B18C Valve springs (Need)
Intake Keepers (Own)
1.8 LSD (Own)
Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Thermostatic (Own)

Work is being down by Matt "HellaFabrication" out of Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

I wouldn't be where I am today without the Help of the following people:

John Peterbaugh
Hunter Halstead
Will Daravong
Fred Cooke
Richard Crawford
Jesse Bentley
Compton
Matt

Here are a few pics of the Build.
Attachments
photo 3.PNG