Project Red Dragon

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
sandusky1977
TO220 - Visibile

Project Red Dragon

Post by sandusky1977 »

Getting ready to embark on a journey including a V6 Toyota Transplant, and I'm considering all of my options.

First a little background, I've owned my 1994 Toyota Celica GT since 2009 and have put over 100k miles on it, I love it so much that I've bought a second one, a 99 that I'm using as my daily driver as I start to frankenstein my 94.

I've been sourcing parts, and have grabbed lowering springs, new struts, and a 2001 Toyota Solara V6 that has been totaled. Next is to transplant the engine from my Solara to my Celica project.

Option 1) Run with the Solara EMS, splice the harnesses together and call it untunable
Option 2) Buy a standalone EMS and plug and play away with it
Option 3) Build a DIY EMS with help from those here.

I'm thinking it would be great if I could do a barebones ems that would eliminate any immobilizer nonsense and such, and let me tweak the vvti

Here is a couple of pictures, one is what my 94 looked like when I bought it the other is how it sits today,
Image Image

Am I on the right path here, I know that a DIY EMS will allow me to add other power adding features later like a turbo,. and it would be awesome to roll with a 1mz-fe Twin turbo, I've seen supercharged with a TRD supercharger but not twin tubos yet.
sandusky1977
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Project Red Dragon

Post by sandusky1977 »

Today I secured, new fenders for the red dragon,. now for a door,. and to get the swap started,.
sandusky1977
TO220 - Visibile

Post by sandusky1977 »

Alright,. so overnight, I discussed a few things with one of the top Toyota swap people that I know of, Smaay, who can be found on 6gc.net/forums toyotanation.com mr2oc.com and so many other places.

I'm no longer planning on buying the Solara for the swap parts, but instead building a 1mz/3mz hybrid motor. No not gas/electric, a hybrid combination of the two.

In deciding to build this project, I have a particular horsepower number in mind, and using the hybrid motor should produce around 220 HP and 240 ft/lbs of torque, it's 20 more hp and 40 more ft/lbs over the 1mz-fe from Toyota. I've figured that spending a couple of extra dollars up front for the additional stats is way cheaper and easier than trying to add more hp and torque later.

So,. more parts on the way,.
sandusky1977
TO220 - Visibile

Post by sandusky1977 »

I guess this is why they call it a Project,....

Yesterday, I added a web tool to another forum I participate in heavily, and while testing it,. I found this,....

It's in far better shape, than the 94 I have that I was planning on using for the Red Dragon build,. however, for $500,. I'm grabbing this 99 and starting with a one owner, never totalled shell, in near excellent condition with an already blown motor,..

so for now,. the little dragon sleeps,. and on to picking up the new shell...

Also talked with another member from here,. micyek,. apparently we are both from the same city,. which is awesome,. it's good to know someone local is also working on this for a Toyota.