The Lost Soul's ride

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
LostSoulMiata
TO220 - Visibile

The Lost Soul's ride

Post by LostSoulMiata »

Here's my ride, 1991 Mazda (Eunos) Miata (Roadster) before she ingested water, so now she's getting FE3N-T power.
Andrew-
Sakura- 1991 Mazda Miata, Rat-rod styling, FE3N-T swap in progress
KW1252
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: The Lost Soul's ride

Post by KW1252 »

Nice Miata! The rat rod look suits the first gen MX-5 with the round headlights pretty well. The DOHC turbo is especially heart-warming to see, any figures on the output? :) I would make the back edge of the hood flush with the fenders though. The aeromystics involved are pretty counter-intuitive, the setup works exactly opposite to common sense and actually pushes air into the engine bay and then under the car. Without going much into details, it's because the air is slowed when it's deflected by the windshield, forming a high-pressure area right under the hood rear lip. The air will flow to lower pressure, which unfortunately is the case in engine bay...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Consequently your radiator and intercooler and oil cooler don't work as well because there is less pressure differential across them.

Nice photos though :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
LostSoulMiata
TO220 - Visibile

Post by LostSoulMiata »

KW1252 wrote:Nice Miata! The rat rod look suits the first gen MX-5 with the round headlights pretty well. The DOHC turbo is especially heart-warming to see, any figures on the output? :) I would make the back edge of the hood flush with the fenders though. The aeromystics involved are pretty counter-intuitive, the setup works exactly opposite to common sense and actually pushes air into the engine bay and then under the car. Without going much into details, it's because the air is slowed when it's deflected by the windshield, forming a high-pressure area right under the hood rear lip. The air will flow to lower pressure, which unfortunately is the case in engine bay...
Thanks for the compliment and concerns, they will all be addressed as the engine goes into the car. The hood risers are gone, so no worries there. For output, I'm going conservative @ 350whp when the boost is on the high setting, also me not having a need to shell out extra money for a motor that can take abuse as I am more Rev happy. Traction is my main concern as I would not like to constantly be sliding around on the streets, although it would be fun, I'd like to keep my license as long as I possibly can. With such a lightweight chassis, the power to weight ratio with that amount of power will put me in Viper territory.

Admin- I am always researching for what will work with my motor and what is compatable.
Andrew-
Sakura- 1991 Mazda Miata, Rat-rod styling, FE3N-T swap in progress