1995 Mazda eunos (miata/mx5)

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
mikehudsonuk
TO220 - Visibile

1995 Mazda eunos (miata/mx5)

Post by mikehudsonuk »

I'm posting this under duress

My car is a bog standard, tip top condition 1.8 1995 mx5. well it's a special edition so it has a nice wooden steering wheel etc but mechanically its standard. No LSD I've just worked out as well, cack (it was an option on this model).
Only mod to date is a very light lowering on original shocks

I will be adding FI (supercharger) soonish but will be getting a jaguar board in while it's still N/A so I can get it tuned while everything else on the car is stock. The board is going into a donor (functioning, I'm told!) ecu I got off ebay for £20 delivered.
I am pretty clueless with electronics so you may be about to read about someone releasing mysterious blue smoke..

Photo to come, comments welcome. I just learnt I need noninverting output ignitor drivers and a 250kPa MAP Sensor, so there you go, so do you if you've got the same car.
And I'm not interested in turbo charging just yet, thanks all the same!
Fred

Re: 1995 Mazda eunos (miata/mx5)

Post by Fred »

mikehudsonuk wrote:I'm posting this under duress
ROFL! That would be me, yes. Bumped the size from 50 to 150 so it was readable. BTW, you can go smaller. I do that sometimes :-)
No LSD I've just worked out as well, cack (it was an option on this model).
Gutted! Boost will motivate you to add this very quickly.
I will be adding FI (supercharger) soonish but will be getting a jaguar board in while it's still N/A so I can get it tuned while everything else on the car is stock.
Good plan ;-) I decided to justify that advice, and just wrote this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2293
The board is going into a donor (functioning, I'm told!) ecu I got off ebay for £20 delivered.
Plug it in and try it before you strip it. You could also order a connector to use instead of pulling the used one out of the old board. Doing that is a PAIN and you get a spare ECU out of not doing it, if it does work.
I am pretty clueless with electronics so you may be about to read about someone releasing mysterious blue smoke..
Jaguar is pretty tough once assembled correctly! We welcome testing :-)
I just learnt I need noninverting output ignitor drivers and a 250kPa MAP Sensor, so there you go, so do you if you've got the same car.
Not necessarily (for the MAP sensor), depends in equipment and goals. Non inverting is because of these reasons:
  • Polarity not software selectable (intentional design choice, not limitation)
  • CPU outputs 5V high during dwell
  • Normal (darlington) ignitors (such as yours) require a base current applied by exceeding the BE Voltage through a current limit resistor to dwell.
  • Non-inverting means 5V in == 12V out.
There you go, now you understand why :-)
And I'm not interested in turbo charging just yet, thanks all the same!
Spoil sport. You've already told me that N-1 times, where N is how many times I told you it was a good idea.

Looking forward to pics. Especially if you're in some :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!