Neil's Fiat/Bertone X1/9

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Neil's Fiat/Bertone X1/9

Post by Fred »

Jesus! Death glass in a car door :-D Glad you found that before it bit/slit you. I reiterate my last post, too.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ivan141 »

Nice work and cool car.
Looking at your apparent love for rivets I would like to advocate the use of rivnuts / nutserts (whatever they're called).
Much friendlier in use for things like brackets that you might have to remove again later in life.

As far as the never ending project feelings, I symphatize. A friend of mine once learned this the hard way and used an
approach I have come to appreciate: Get the car running and safe to drive as soon as possible, then never take on more
work at once than you can get done in a few days. Having the car out of commission for long is a big demotivator.
[I took my own project car apart in 2007 and am only now getting the chassis ready for paint.. wished I'd listened better to that friend.]
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Although that is good advice, when you do major body work or engine swap stuff, it's very hard to follow. You just need to keep your eye on the ball/dream and put in the hours :-) I have a lot of car-friends with projects, and most of them make slow progress, with only a few producing consistent results. The difference? Those ones work harder and more often and for longer :-)
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

Thanks Ivan. Yes rivnuts might have been better on the pipe brackets. I still can do that I guess. But I think I was justified with the belly pan seeing as I was replacing spot welds. I have a air riveter which gives me a great feeling of power and when I have it in my hands everything I see at looks like it needs riveting. My skill with rivnuts is not great. I either don't rivet it enough so it turns, or else I rip the thread out.

Things might be coming together on this car. Finished constructing home made heater controls, fresh air vent unjammed, derusted and painted. heater matrix has been recored, new heater valve has arrived so hope to have the dashboard back in and the windows working this weekend. New brake & clutch master cylinders are in and mostly bled. Just as well as my other project car needs serious attention.
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

Progress halted as my other project car blew up. But while I'm waiting for the engine to come back from the machine shop (much delayed) I was able to do some more work.

Some before and after pics of the interior. Behind is new brake and clutch masters, new reservoirs, new heater matrix, repaired vent controls, and a whole bunch of wiring changes and extra relays.
Attachments
dash-after.jpg
dash-before.jpg
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

Long time since I updated this, the car is fully on the road for some time now. I have a acquired an Uno Turbo manifold and a 60-2 triggerwheel equipped flywheel and am currently thinking about how to EFI it. Probably start with ignition-only.

The biggest problem with the car is other cars tailgating me trying to see what it is. Big 4x4's are frightening because when I look in the mirror I see the the underside of their front bumper.
Fred

Post by Fred »

You sure it's not just that you're doing the speed limit or less in your old age? :-D

Would love to take a ride in it some time. Sweet little car. :-)