Jaguar XJ6 Build Thread (AJ16 into a Series XJ)

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Jaguar XJ6 Build Thread (AJ16 into a Series XJ)

Post by Compassion »

I'd say 'start of install' to be forgiving and truthful to the situation. ;) Fires up is nice, but not remotely expected out of the gate. There's usually some technical problems to be overcome, or troubleshooting and wiring mishaps to be sorted.

If I wanted to be really crude, and if the information required is *just* the trigger wheel data, I could probably get a test rig with a TA card, the BrickEMS VR conditioner you sent put together really quick with the motor out of the car (and the oil put back in the crank case) and do some cranking.

Conditions i am considering with the ECU now, a year later:
  • TA card builds tend to be tedious, one-off, and contribute as an individual endeavor, but have mixed use to the community and can be taxing to the existing dev resources. But I've got two, so I already partially bit into that apple a year ago.
  • Dev cards in production may better fit my requirements or may influence what my configuration will be.
Configuration scenarios:
[*]EDIS vs CNP/COP for number of pins required vs wasted spark
--> Likely skipping the ECU controlled distributor option for now.
[*]MAP vs MAF
[*]Electric Fan Control (I am not retrofitting a mechanical fan, so I'll probably be using the water sensor feed to drive a separate circuit outside ECU control)
[*]X300 intake manifold vs XJ40 intake manifold
X300 and XJ40 manifolds differ in the MAF options provided, the injector types (AFAIK)
-->Wiring for full sequential, but likely reducing for batch-fire on the ECU side.
Last edited by Compassion on Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

Theoretically the Jaguar ignitor output drivers should work for EDIS, but I haven't had a chance to get my DSO connected to the PIP and SAW lines on the Mustang to record them. If you have access to a DSO and spare time to connect it to those signal lines it would help out immensely, plus it doesn't hurt to have independent measurement to make sure we are seeing the same signals.

The 36-1 crankshaft wheel would be the input to the EDIS module which it uses for crankshaft sync so it can fire the correct pair of coils at the right time. If I'm not mistaken the EDIS module outputs a pulse per cylinder like the GM DIS module does which goes to the ECM as a tach signal. With only using the 36-1 wheel with the EDIS module you would be running batch injection unless you have another engine cycle input such as a camshaft sensor.

To do synchronized injection (ie: semi-sequential) you would need another input such as a 1x engine cycle input for engine cycle sync. My 1997 Mustang 3.8L SFI v6 with EDIS has a separate 1x camshaft sync sensor which does NOT go to the EDIS module, this input goes directly to the factory ECM for engine cycle sync, but not all EDIS engines have the camshaft sensor.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The fan is child's play, Evie :-) Make it sw configurable, use a FET to drive a relay to drive the fan. MAF is a pain in the arse, everything has to be perfectly sealed. MAP is easy quick and very very effective. Choose your manifold for accessories, fitment, or flow :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

DeuceEFI wrote:
To do synchronized injection (ie: semi-sequential) you would need another input such as a 1x engine cycle input for engine cycle sync. My 1997 Mustang 3.8L SFI v6 with EDIS has a separate 1x camshaft sync sensor which does NOT go to the EDIS module, this input goes directly to the factory ECM for engine cycle sync, but not all EDIS engines have the camshaft sensor.
The AJ16 does have a separate CAS-type signal source, so sequential/semi sequential fire isn't really off the table, thankfully.

The 36-1 wheel at the crank would have to be swapped in though for EDIS, or a discrete 60-2 --> 36-1 converter introduced into the system, but the VR signal converter would have to be designed, created and burned in to drive the EDIS in this scenario. The challenges would include noise tolerance, heat, VR conditioning, the discrete logic itself, and the VR signal generation for the output. A failure condition of this module would be well... less than ideal.

The alternative is that the ECU does the trigger wheel conversions, but that currently isn't in the requirements or desirable (or achievable due to pin availability?) at this time, from what I can tell.

I already have a parallel scenario where, for the V12, with EDIS I need to just delay the VR signal 30 or 60 degrees. I can't remember which. But for me, the design work is useful. It sounds like EDIS isn't a good first step with the original trigger wheel on the AJ16 as-is.

Fred,

Digital on, digital off. ;)

I was just thinking about managing heat soak, but I suppose the ECU could remain running when the ignition is off for fan control. I've also got the aux fans to control for when the A/C is on, though, too. Well, that or just run them on the same control circuit and ignore any input from the A/C.
Fred

Post by Fred »

6 cyl = 60-2 + semi sequential + wasted spark ignition from a single Jag with no mods. Or use a single TA with your BrickRPM. Heat soak of what? Not something to worry about, and easy to setup the ECU to stay on a bit longer.
Fred

Post by Fred »

How about TA + BrickRPM + viewtopic.php?p=33767#p33767 :-)
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

I just realized I hadn't posted pictures of the subject motor:

The AJ16 motor with an XJ40 manifold fitted when it was delivered:

The Getrag 290 Gearbox

The rare Series 2/3 Pedal box that needs some cleanup

Various sensors:

The BrickRPM!
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

So, I ordered a Jaguar 0.4 alpha board and I have been assembling it. Progress can be followed here.

In two days, I've soldered up a bit of parts. Although on day 2, my cat jumped on my desk and some +12VDC power got applied to the USB connector baking the FTDI chip, in addition an IC on my desktop motherboard.

I need to correct the installed parts for my RPM sources, as one is VR and the other is logic-level. I also need to figure out the resistor values I need for the Lucas-spec gauges and see how they compare to US parts. The manual specifies 80 something ohms warm and 241 ohms cold. I'll probably repost with the corrected values.

I do have to say that the board is rather nice, and it reflects plenty of hard work. Regrettably, I have already smudged off the creator's signature. No worries, though, I didn't intend to keep it as a museum piece.

Day 2 Shots:
Fred

Post by Fred »

Compassion wrote:Although on day 2, my cat jumped on my desk and some +12VDC power got applied to the USB connector baking the FTDI chip, in addition an IC on my desktop motherboard.

LOL, what? This needs a *MUCH* more detailed explanation because I currently can't even begin to imagine how! :-)
I also need to figure out the resistor values I need for the Lucas-spec gauges and see how they compare to US parts. The manual specifies 80 something ohms warm and 241 ohms cold. I'll probably repost with the corrected values.

What has this got to do with the ECU? Or nothing? You can't really use those for temperature sensors if that's what you were hinting at. If it wasn't, then ignore me.

Fred.
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

Fred wrote:
Compassion wrote:Although on day 2, my cat jumped on my desk and some +12VDC power got applied to the USB connector baking the FTDI chip, in addition an IC on my desktop motherboard.

LOL, what? This needs a *MUCH* more detailed explanation because I currently can't even begin to imagine how! :-)
Cat jumped up on the desk, grabbed the +12V lead with one of his paws, drug the lead out of the 12V Switched input and down the board to a slight valley for the microusb port. He's been unhappy with the attention I've been giving the board, but he didn't *intentionally* do it. Bad luck happens.

As for the comment on Lucas gauges, I meant the sensor outputs on the head/block, etc.