2008 Yamaha R6 Race bike

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

2008 Yamaha R6 Race bike

Post by dave- »

Hi Everyone, I guess this is a bit of an introduction thread too? sure why not!

I'm a 25 year old Kiwi studying Computer Engineering at Canterbury University and this is me on my race bike:

It's a 2008 Yamaha R6, pretty much completely stock except for the race fairings, foot pegs and the gear shift direction is flipped.

Here's the wikipedia article on my R6.

But to sumarise:
Naturally aspirated, 600cc, 4 stroke, inline 4, DOHC, producing something between 110-115hp.

The intention here has sort of spiraled out of control, to start with I wanted to just data log with my android phone....then an arduino....now the wiring loom annoys me as it's stock and has the dumb yamaha immobiliser so I was going to black box the immobiliser key RFID thing, and now I want to pull the whole thing out and build my own, I guess my idea is to build the smartbike, a motorcycle that not only collects data on what's going on, but assists the rider to this too (I love ABS, traction control, anti-wheelie - I know a lot of people don't, but I think they're fascinating)

I only club race, and I intend to stretch this project over my educational career as a motivation/real life application (I find these help keep me sane) so don't expect mega changes straight away, I still have 2 assignments, 3 labs and 4 exams to get through before the summer!

First thing I guess I have to do is start listing the number of sensors and controls on the bike and build an understanding of how they communicate with the ecu.

Comments welcome, encouragement would be good too haha
Fred

Re: 2008 Yamaha R6 Race bike

Post by Fred »

Hi and welcome, Dave!

I thought that I'd start with this quote from your sign up box, I hope you don't mind me sharing it:

"I'm a kiwi (new zealander) with a yamaha r6 race bike"

< Take a look to the left of this post, you'll find that your fearless leader is also a Kiwi ;-) I laughed at the nz in brackets :-)

And again:

"replacing the perfectly good ecu in it with an ecu which data logs also."

That's exactly what I'm working on at the moment. Plus some minor behavioural changes, too. So I completely understand. I'm a data junkie too :-)

I would like to offer you some encouragement, so I'll offer you this: I encourage you to stay alive on that thing! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

Post by dave- »

Ah wow! I saw the diyefi project was being used in NZ, so I thought I might find a few kiwi's here, I didn't expect the leader to be a kiwi, but patriotically, I'm not suprised :)

I've just finished a term in C programming and we're currently learning to program an AVR atmega32U2 in C, in fact I'm heading in to uni after this post to work on it (yes, a Sunday - Engineering....) we're still learning how to display a smiley face on a 5x7 dot matrix LED screen and work with the timers and counters, so I have many baby steps to go before I think this thread will have much content, but as it does I'll be sure to fill it up!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I changed my avatar for you :-p I don't know how long I'll keep it for, though.

I look forward to your updates in future :-)

Fred.
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

Post by dave- »

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know I have not forgotten about this project :)

I binned the yar6 in november at the start of our season, the resulting christmas spending holidays etc stripped my repair money so I've just had to chip away.

I'm taking the opportunity to do a few other tidy up things too, few bolts need drilling out etc, general wear and tear on a race bike.

I did purchase a shiny new set of fairings too! They'll be painted up gloss black with a few tron style decals to match my leathers.

I pulled the wire loom out yesterday, I plan to more tidy it up than strip it down, there's a fuse box and some relays (I think) knocking around the radiator area of the bike, I'm going to move these to where the rear pillion seat use to be, clip off a few light plugs, and yamaha have this neat (read: lame) anti theft RFID key thing that I'm going to black box. Just need to get around to banging it on an oscilloscope.

Back at Canterbury Uni this year, 2nd pro computer eng, they've got us messing around with a ARM Cortex-M3 on a dev board, plus an MSP430 which we have to design an ABS system for (should be a good foundation for this project)

Anyway don't expect much for the next few months, I still have much to learn.
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by johntramp »

Say hi to Steve Weddell :)
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

Post by dave- »

dave- wrote:First thing I guess I have to do is start listing the number of sensors and controls on the bike and build an understanding of how they communicate with the ecu.
1. AC magneto
2. Rectifier/regulator
3. Main switch
4. Ignition fuse
5. Backup fuse (odometer, clock
and immobilizer system)
6. Main fuse
7. Battery
8. Starter relay
9. Fuel injection system fuse
10.Starter motor
11.Engine ground
12.ETV fuse
13.Relay unit
14.Starting circuit cut-off relay
15.Fuel pump relay
16.Neutral switch
17.Sidestand switch
18.Fuel pump
19.Fuel sender
20.Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley)
21.Throttle position sensor (for throttle valves)
22.ECU (engine control unit)
23.Spark plug
24.Cylinder-#1 ignition coil
25.Cylinder-#2 ignition coil
26.Cylinder-#3 ignition coil
27.Cylinder-#4 ignition coil
28.Primary injector #1
29.Primary injector #2
30.Primary injector #3
31.Primary injector #4
32.Secondary injector #1
33.Secondary injector #2
34.Secondary injector #3
35.Secondary injector #4
36.Air induction system solenoid
37.Throttle servo motor
38.EXUP servo motor
39.O2 sensor
40.Crankshaft position sensor
41.Air temperature sensor
42.Coolant temperature sensor
43.Intake air pressure sensor
44.Atmospheric pressure sensor
45.Cylinder identification sensor
46.Speed sensor
47.Lean angle sensor
48.Meter assembly
49.Fuel level warning light
50.Oil level warning light
51.Neutral indicator light
52.Tachometer
53.Shift timing indicator light
54.Multi-function meter
55.Engine trouble warning light
56.Coolant temperature warning light
57.High beam indicator light
58.Left turn signal indicator light
59.Right turn signal indicator light
60.Meter light
61.Oil level switch
62.Right handlebar switch
63.Front brake light switch
64.Engine stop switch
65.Start switch
66.Turn signal relay
67.Left handlebar switch
68.Dimmer switch
69.Horn switch
70.Clutch switch
71.Turn signal switch
72.Horn
73.Rear right turn signal light
74.Rear left turn signal light
75.Front right turn signal/position light
76.Front left turn signal/position light
77.Headlight (low beam)
78.Headlight (high beam)
79.License plate light
80.Rear brake light switch
81.Tail/brake light
82.Headlight relay (on/off)
83.Headlight relay (dimmer)
84.Signaling system fuse
85.Headlight fuse
86.Radiator fan motor relay
87.Right radiator fan motor fuse
88.Left radiator fan motor fuse
89.Right radiator fan motor
90.Left radiator fan motor
91.Intake funnel servo motor

That was easy.

Things like the horn, lights, turn signals can be ignored.

Ok so now I need to work out how all this talks to the ecu, I have the wiring diagram too with the colours of each wire (except the immobiliser damn it!) am I best to go through one by one and measure each sensor under operation with an oscilliscope? what about the lean angle? and speed sensor? for the lean angle do you think I'd get away with simply leaning the bike over? and the speed sensor I can pop it in gear while it's on the stands? or do I really want to run it up to speed to measure these things?
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

Its funny how complicated these bike motors are. I feel like Igot off easy with my 2003 r1 install.
You snooze, you lose!
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

Post by dave- »

Hey Sean, as of late I've learned how uncomplicated the thing is to be honest, though I think it's more a case of stockholm syndrome...

Bit of an update from me:

Got the race bike back together and managed to sneak in a friday afternoon session at Ruapuna, bike ran beaut, I was worried I'd be chasing a gremlin in the loom, a short that only happened when the bike was at a certain lean angle or something, but nothing came up. I did run the battery flat though as I was running total loss for a day (reg/rec interfered with my new fairings - didn't have time to cut out a solution) I rode like a complete nanna, been far too long and I'm both unfit and bike unfit, the bike actually felt so much better than the last time I rode it that it felt like a completely different bike, which was something else to get my head around.

Canterbury Uni has started a formula SAE project! Woohoo! and they're using a 2008 yamaha r6 engine!

As a second pro ECE student I wouldn't usually have anything to do with it, but a mate asked me to drop in and give them a hand with the wiring loom, he knew I had just torn down my bikes loom.

Next year is my final year, and we do a final year project, I've got heads in both departments interested in involving ECE in the SAE project.

Other universities have done ECU's, data acquisition systems, controls systems and shift-by-wire systems so I'm pretty keen to do something similar.

Unfortunately I don't foresee an ECU being an option at this stage as they went out and bought a brand new link G4 extreme...sorry if I had known early enough Fred I would have put a word in :/
Fred

Post by Fred »

The can still sell the G4 on trademe ;-) I'm unsure how easy the Yammy is to support, get the crank/cam details of the unmodified engine. I'll PM you some other info.