2008 Yamaha R6 Race bike

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: 2008 Yamaha R6 Race bike

Post by SleepyKeys »

Hey Dave,

I was speaking of bike engines in general, not so much the wiring. Most have staged injection and electronic secondary throttle bodies, electronic throttle bodies in the exhaust etc. IIRC the R1 went to an odd-fire in 08, unsure if the R6 went the same way. I think all they did with the crank/cam is bump up the resolution.

What you need(or are allowed to have) depends on the application, I suppose. FWIW I know guys who have installed bike engines in things heavier than bikes who removed the EXUP and or secondary throttle bodies only to report mild loss in throttle response and low/mid range power.
"In 2006, Yamaha advertised that the R6 had a redline of 17,500 rpm." -- wikipedia Impressive if true :)

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

Post by dave- »

Sean0 wrote:Hey Dave,

I was speaking of bike engines in general, not so much the wiring. Most have staged injection and electronic secondary throttle bodies, electronic throttle bodies in the exhaust etc. IIRC the R1 went to an odd-fire in 08, unsure if the R6 went the same way. I think all they did with the crank/cam is bump up the resolution.

What you need(or are allowed to have) depends on the application, I suppose. FWIW I know guys who have installed bike engines in things heavier than bikes who removed the EXUP and or secondary throttle bodies only to report mild loss in throttle response and low/mid range power.
"In 2006, Yamaha advertised that the R6 had a redline of 17,500 rpm." -- wikipedia Impressive if true :)

-sean
I remember originally thinking how complex the r6 seemed, but with some education, tinkering and reading I realise how simple they really are.

R6 in 2008 is 1 2 4 3 left to right (if sitting on bike)
Fred

Post by Fred »

FYI, apparently these engines are 24 minus 2 + sync, older ones were 4 + sync. This info from dave-
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

I think they were 4 + sync when they were carbureted(as pictured in a 1999 repair manual) and then their first gen injection like my R1 went to 8 + sync(as you can see from my decoder setup). I know most late model bikes got 32-bit CPUs.

Odd-fire as in the crank throws are not all 90-deg apart from one another.
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yeah, very late stuff went odd-spaced. Unsure about his, and FreeEMS handles the oddness naturally anyway, so it's irrelevant, except in that it makes a LOT more work tuning them with individual VE and timing for every cylinder all the time...

As for 8 vs. 4, I've seen no mention nor sign of 8 teeth wheels on the *R6*, however there are plenty of 4 tooth wheel pics around, and talking about fairly late bikes, too.

Picture of 4 tooth wheel courtesy of randoms, this could be ignition only, perhaps, but doesn't seem like it, seems 2007-2008ish?

Picture of 2008 to 2012 R6 24 minus 2 crank wheel and sensor, courtesy of ebay:

Fred.
dave-
TO220 - Visibile

Post by dave- »

If you still don't trust manuals, images off the internet, and ebay then here's the end of the crankshaft on a 2008 Yamaha R6.

It just further corroborates Fred's ebay link (which might come in handy next year)
IMG_20130813_165056[1].jpg
Perhaps you chaps could shed some light on the camshaft (cylinder id) sensor?

From what I can tell it's the notched disk in the middle of the exit side cam shaft

Attachments
IMG_20130813_165040[1].jpg
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

I would use what's in it.....
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

dave- wrote:Perhaps you chaps could shed some light on the camshaft (cylinder id) sensor?

From what I can tell it's the notched disk in the middle of the exit side cam shaft
Just the one notch? If so, it's pretty straight forward to use and exactly the same as just one bump would be :-)
Sean0 wrote:I would use what's in it.....
What was the point of this comment? He asked about the cam pattern, not what to use, or not use. Do us a favour and put the time you currently spend poking around the forum into the LT1 and/or loader, please. :-(
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

haha, calm down, it was a subtle way to poke at you to improve the missing tooth code so that it has higher RPM capabilities.
You snooze, you lose!