my daily driver - 89 lwb bongo (e2000)

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
antz
TO220 - Visibile

my daily driver - 89 lwb bongo (e2000)

Post by antz »

Just spent last couple of months panelling it, painted last night. not buffed yet. its pretty rough, but it wasnt meant to be a minter, just a quick tidyup. ive heard so many things about FE3 turbo conversions now that im pretty keen to try one myself in this thing. Is there a list of bits somewhere online of all the parts that i need? Like i understand it bolts right up to FE box, and uses same mounts, but things like loom, ecu, etc etc, if anyone has a list, or knows of one, please let me know. Im not sure which ECU is better (and cheaper) too, so yeah, i dont want an expencive super powerfull setup, just something thats got a little bit more than a stock FE3 and can still be driven daily.

Hers the van how it is now, interior will be done within the next month, making up a proper tool chest for the back, gonna mount it inside, with a benchtop, draws for a spare diff, spare axels, etc etc. So anything craps out in it, i can just pull over, change whatever it is on the side of the road, and be on my way :D

Fred

Re: my daily driver - 89 lwb bongo (e2000)

Post by Fred »

I love your non-minta paint jobs! :-) Nice work as always.

EMS :

Short term : MS2+V3.0+MS2Extra = The win.
Long term : Hopefully FreeEMS ;-)

(warning, short ~= 6 - 24 months)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

buffed it up today, its a bit better now. still gotta rub/buff sides of the roof, but its looking better now anyway.

hey would it be simple just to wire up stock fe3 loom/ecu? or should i just do something else since ill be wiring it all up?
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you are keeping a stock setup with no boost/cams/etc, sure, wire up a stocker. I reckon it's a pain though, but a LOT of others disagree and think starting from scratch is more of a pain... If you want boost, go MS2... cheap, proven, good :-)
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

is it possible to setup ms2 if youve never done anything like that before? the only fuel management "setup" is when i got a pressure switch and hooked it up to squirt fuel on full when boost went over 0psi. but as far as wiring goes - ive never hooked up an ECU before.

are there any guides on how to do it? or diagrams or whatever? cause ill be definately setting up for boost. not much, but just like 6-7 psi to keep it reliable as a daily driver.
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

is it this kit that i need to get? would i need to get anything else or would this have all the bits and pieces? ive read through it, but you never know, there are always things you find out you need afterwards:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-59.html

and what about MS1? im not doing anything full on, just low boost, as long as its got a rev cut and maps fuel to boost ok.

would ths kit have everything? like map sensor, cause it says it includes EVERYTHING but does it include sensors: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-28.html
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes, I guarantee you can do it! Much less capable men than yourself have succeeded. I can put you in touch with 4 dudes in Auckland with MS experience, all of which are good blokes. I doubt you will need it though. There is tonnes of documentation available, too much IMO.

MS1 will be fine. There are quite a few MS1 FE3T engines out there. At low boost on 440cc injectors you should be OK with MS1. MS2 will work better though for idle and overall accuracy of control. Given that you are the rangi mod man himself though, you are right, MS1 is a good choice. It does have some benefits over MS2 also.

Whether it's ms1 or ms2, spend the extra on the V3.0 board. It is worth it IMO, though, again, lots of people are happy with the 2.2 unit.

The key thing is that your wiring is good. No twisted together wires!! No engine management OEM or otherwise can be rangily done ;-)

ROTFL : I just google image searched "maori wiring" hoping for twisted together wires and the first image it shows is this :

http://www.safeguard.co.nz/events/award ... _trico.jpg

None of this on your install :

If you want it to go extra smoothly, you have to pay close attention to grounding. One of the MS designs worst flaws IMO is that it has a single connected ground system. This means to keep electrical noise low, your power and ground wires need to be bigger than they otherwise would have to be. They should go straight to the battery via a fuse and relay from the key for power, and straight to the engines head for ground. If you are careful with the wiring, you will have no problems at all :-)

I here by promise to give you 1 on 1 support if you decide to go through with it.

Other options on low boost like that are BPT electricals and 4G63 electricals. Either will work ok, but you will have a great time doing your first MS install :-) It's very satisfying!

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=46

Go with that. If you decide you want a smoother idle or more power and bigger injectors, you can upgrade to MS2 pretty easily.

Fred.
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

oh wicked thanks man. yeah ill be looking for an fe3 now, and will save up a bit for a kit (ms1). so yeah, hopefully couple of months down the track ill have my bits and pieces sorted out. im gonna try to do as much as i can before i drop the engine in, because since the van is my daily driver, im gonna have to make sure it stays off the road for the least possible amount of time.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Do you still have the sweet truck?

It would be achievable in a weekend I reckon, particularly for yourself. If you are well prepared with fitment of all the accessories and build it like a kit etc... you could ms the donor car in advance, then swapping it in is a physical thing only...

Good luck, keep us posted :-)
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

yeah i still got the truck man, but with an open engine and stil running 4.4:1 diff its not the best as a dialy commuter. but nah i think ill sort myself out a car for a week just so i dont rush it. nothings worse than rushing into a conversion, and wrecking half the stuff in the process.