'06 Yamaha FZ1

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
norcalairman
TO92 - Vaguely active

'06 Yamaha FZ1

Post by norcalairman »

I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing much to this bike, but I know I want to. I just wanted to start this thread so anything that's discussed is open knowledge. No sense whispering about something that could help others, that's not what open source is about.

Anyway, if you don't know the 2006 Yamaha FZ1 has a nasty fuel cut when you let off the throttle. There's also a delay and snatch when rolling back onto the throttle, which has resulted in mid-turn wheelies that scared the bujeezeus out of me.

There is one commercial product that fixes this problem for $200 and it's a great product based on everything I've heard. An alternative is to either buy an MS or an ECU from a later year (post-2010 preferably) which costs in the neighborhood of $500+ and has no tuning options.

I'm a tinkerer and have a great fondness for open source, so I have found myself here, seeking knowledge. Hopefully I'll learn enough to upgrade the bike and share what I learn with the rest of the FZ1 community. I would love to somehow contribute intellectually to this site, but sharing my experiences will liekly have to suffice.

So strap on your helmets, folks, this is going to be an interesting ride.
Fred

Re: '06 Yamaha FZ1

Post by Fred »

Welcome! :-)

Testing, feedback, documentation, community buzz, etc are all valuable, don't underestimate your worth! Ask anything, complain about the most annoying aspects, etc, it'll likely go down well.

Helmet applied.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
norcalairman
TO92 - Vaguely active

Re: '06 Yamaha FZ1

Post by norcalairman »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Fred. My first step of course will be a cost estimate. Then I'll have to estimate how much time I need to dedicate to this thing. Working full time and going to college with a wife and three kids doesn't leave much tinkering time, but I love my bike and smoothing it out plus adding a little power will be worth it.