2003 Toxic Tacoma

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: 2003 Toxic Tacoma

Post by Fred »

Surely the USB GPS has something of a unique ID? If so perhaps you can use udev rules to map it predictably:

Code: Select all

fred@chain:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules 
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
fred@chain:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/46-usbdm.rules 
#  Should be placed in /etc/udev/rules.d/46-usbdm.rules
#  Note: HEX numbers must be lower case - yes really!!!!
#
# Allow unrestricted access to various BDMs (including USBDM & JS16 bootloader)
ATTR{idVendor}=="0425", ATTR{idProduct}=="1000", SYMLINK+="usbdm-tbdml%n",     MODE:="0666"
ATTR{idVendor}=="0425", ATTR{idProduct}=="1001", SYMLINK+="usbdm-tblcf%n",     MODE:="0666"
ATTR{idVendor}=="0425", ATTR{idProduct}=="ff02", SYMLINK+="JB16_Bootloader%n", MODE:="0666"
ATTR{idVendor}=="15a2", ATTR{idProduct}=="0021", SYMLINK+="usbdm-osbdm%n",     MODE:="0666"
ATTR{idVendor}=="15a2", ATTR{idProduct}=="0038", SYMLINK+="JS16_Bootloader%n", MODE:="0666"
ATTR{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTR{idProduct}=="0567", SYMLINK+="usbdm%n",           MODE:="0666"
ATTR{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTR{idProduct}=="06a5", SYMLINK+="usbdm%n",           MODE:="0666"
#
# Allow unrestricted access to USBDM CDC serial port (named ttyUsbdm0 ...)
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="ttyUsbdm%n"
#
If you only need a keep-alive grade 12v inside, the ECU should already have a permanently hot line there you can borrow/tap into.

"Speed: From VSS or accelerometer" < Also from FreeEMS, feed this signal into the ECU, condition it, and let's read it directly. The code exists! ;-)

MIL/CEL" < The ECU should really retain control of this. For example it'll be mandatory to use the CEL output if you enable any sort of "limp mode" style behaviour in future. I guess you could hack in comms packets to notify the external board, however you can't guarantee that they are received, so you'd need to do accounting on the device, and get the external setup to reply to it with an ack or clear command or something.

You might want the brake and clutch switches logged/used in the ECU, too. Any sort of vehicle dynamics stuff is nice to have at the same sample rate in the ECU logs and regularly useful for control logic.

My 2c. :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Thanks for the comments.

You tapped into what I'm planning to do for USB device mapping (using udev rules), but with half the hardware in a briefcase and half in the vehicle (and some power issues going on), I simply haven't had good opportunities to work on this.

With respect to adding more to the ECU, I previously repurposed a couple of taps on there and wonder how adding any more can safely happen. To be honest, I wish the Jaguar ECU had an easier way to add more expansion on it for just this sort of issue and particularly after having played with these Raspberry Pis and their convenient GPIO pin arrays. It might be nice for future ECUs to have unused pins from the CPU broken out to a board edge.

The MIL/CEL light: I recall you suggesting use of the LED status on the ECU with a step-up circuit and some custom code. I like that idea, but, at this point, am considering the same thing you just mentioned above related to comms packets.

Modifications to the list..
  • Speed: FreeEMS comms
  • Headlights: This would alert the display to change to "night mode"
  • Wiper blades: This would alert the display to change to "weather mode" and display weather radar maps relative to GPS location
  • LCD display controls
Night and weather modes don't necessarily conflict, however, as the idea is to have the display reconfigure layout based on what's going on. Weather, YouTube, maps, etc. would move the two majors gauges (tach, speed) to the sides, drop/reduce minor gauges to near-nothingness, then use the middle of the display for data presentation. Since only gauge regions would change for night mode and the entire display dim, the data presentation part would be considered transitory and do whatever it needs to do.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Another upcoming project is to use FreeEMS comms as a source for providing CAN data requests over the PiCAN2. For instance, a set of unmodified gauges plugged into the diagnostics port would make requests that would then be responded to with numerical data. The Pi3 HMI unit would be the "man in the middle" handling this interpretation. It's for this reason I purchased a new 3-outlet cable and am reviewing laptop-friendly CAN sniffing devices. Even this hacky approach provides something valuable for me, possibly others.
Fred

Post by Fred »

ToxicGumbo wrote:With respect to adding more to the ECU, I previously repurposed a couple of taps on there and wonder how adding any more can safely happen. To be honest, I wish the Jaguar ECU had an easier way to add more expansion on it for just this sort of issue and particularly after having played with these Raspberry Pis and their convenient GPIO pin arrays. It might be nice for future ECUs to have unused pins from the CPU broken out to a board edge.
It's not really much different except that:

- The headers are smaller and more spread out
- The other wiring makes it difficult to access them

And what's the same is that you'd need to build external or clip-on conditioning circuits for either to make it safe/work at all.
ToxicGumbo wrote:The MIL/CEL light: I recall you suggesting use of the LED status on the ECU with a step-up circuit and some custom code. I like that idea, but, at this point, am considering the same thing you just mentioned above related to comms packets.
Keep in mind that there is zero infrastructure in place for that sort of communications, and it might be a bit more work than you'd want to chew on to add comms packets of that nature.

However: You could also repurpose some other bezel in the dashboard for this if keeping the OEM one, but I thought you weren't? And, if not, then you can put any number of CEL style lamps on your new dash. Of course, the point of a very simple light bulb/LED circuit is that it's inherently reliable, which you kill if you digitise it. If you are digitising, feed the ECU's output into an unused input on the device and just mirror the pattern to the screen.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Looks like I might be running a little rich.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Could be rich sometimes and just never driven hard enough to get hot and burn it off? But we'll soon see, hopefully! I smell progress :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

I would just like to say one thing, but a picture speaks exactly one word, four times:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Fred

Post by Fred »

Because Jeff has occasionally done my posting for me (thanks!!!) I thought I'd update y'all on behalf of Jeff this time:

He got a wideband in there and working! And I did some remote tuning based on a few logs and now it's running at vaguely sensible AFRs.

It's got a fairly nasty miss around peak torque that needs sorting and is likely down to ruined plugs from 2.5 years of abuse.

Great progress! I suspect no update here because Jeff's focusing on what matters: His baby, his wife, and his truck. And not this thread :-)

Approved.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Thanks, Fred. :-)

Working wideband installed, useful logging happening, great tweaks and updates from Fred that have substantially improved my quality of life, new spark plugs to install, fresh gear oil for the overly-broken-in diff, new FreeEMS projects in the works, and I just bought a cheap gauge cluster to tear apart for the PiZero display.

The spark plugs and gear oil will be replaced by the weekend.
The Tacoma gauge cluster en route via eBay.
Hoping to have the Pi3 in by the end of next week to automate daily logs.
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

The gauge cluster has arrived. Compared to my original cluster, the unit has seen some heavy oxidization on the flexible PCB copper, so that will need some touching up. Some people report decent results with pencil erasers; I'm skeptical in this case, but will try that before chemicals or home remedies.

I ordered 20 step down boards via eBay ($18USD) to change automotive battery V to fixed 3.3V for status light indicators to Pi Zero GPIO.

A 5A fused line from the battery has been run to the Mausberry switch. Unfortunately, I created a temporary vacuum leak (discovered just before heading home) by knocking a tube out of place. Might need to punch a wider hole in the firewall. :-)