Andy's 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Build Thread - Comments

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Andy's 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Build Thread - Comments

Post by DeuceEFI »

Post your comments here, please :-)
preludelinux
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Andy's 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Build Thread - Comments

Post by preludelinux »

Nice ... Sucks you have to rebuild the heads right away. At least you will get mechanically bonding time .

Joking - engine swap ! ( you have to us a non - US motor ) hehe bring on the haters
Fred

Post by Fred »

You've gotta get it going on the OEM stuff first. I'd recommend manualising the auto rather than trying to control it, though you could do that too, if you really wanted to. Likely on a different CPU from the engine, though.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Thought I should clarify a little bit about this project...

I purchased the car as a FreeEMS test mule, plus it was about the same price as the Crown Victoria sedans or a Ranger pickups that I have been able to find. A second reason is that I would rather have the Mustang over the other two since I could probably sell the Mustang after I'm done with it (with source code of course) to a future FreeEMS user. :-) Plus I have a few friends that have the 4.6L and 5.0L Mustangs so this would be a good way to show off the capabilities of FreeEMS to them. With that being said, here are my steps to the recovery of the blown head gasket issue and future change-over to FreeEMS:

Step 1: Rebuild the motor to get it to a known running state with the factory ECU to provide Fred with useful information about the factory EDIS system.

Step 2: Make an adapter harness to connect a Jaguar A3 board to the factory wiring at the original ECU location so that I can switch between the factory ECU and FreeEMS for testing.

Step 3: Determine how to control the automatic transmission with an additional separate controller so I can drive the car with the Jaguar A3 board attached and not burn up the clutch packs in the transmission. I have found a few aftermarket plug and play controllers starting in the $400US range so that is an option, plus it could save time getting the car up and running on FreeEMS and allow for more testing time :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Your steps are approved! :-)

I will link this thread to em_knaps as he manualised his auto in his 4runner 2jz conversion and it worked very nicely indeed.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
em_knaps
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by em_knaps »

Andy, If your trans operates in a similar fasion to the aisin auto's that toyota use you can use the shifter position switch to activate the solenoids with relays. ive done it with two toyota's so far and it works quite well.
the trans does EXACTLY what it is told to do by the shifter. if you can find info on your trans id be happy to have a nosey and point you in the right direction.
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

em_knaps wrote: If your trans operates in a similar fasion to the aisin auto's that toyota use you can use the shifter position switch to activate the solenoids with relays. ive done it with two toyota's so far and it works quite well.
the trans does EXACTLY what it is told to do by the shifter. if you can find info on your trans id be happy to have a nosey and point you in the right direction.
I'm not sure how it works, this is the first "Ford" I have owned... My Deuce Coupe is a fiberglass reproduction with no actual Ford parts, all aftermarket parts...

I will post more information about the transmission as I find out more information in my research of how it actually works. Thanks for the assist :-) I'll keep you posted...