Discussion of Number 10

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Discussion of Number 10

Post by longracing »

Don't forget the difference in Octane rating.

I believe the US uses MON as opposed to Australia & (possibly) NZ that use RON or they use Rating# = (RON + MON)/2
This explanes why some service stations have "crap" fuel while still meeting the required rating number.

As Peter's 92 MON is the equivalent of ~ 95RON.

Maybe copper head gaskets would be the easiest way to drop compression. Add to that a little bit of combustion chamber reshaping and considering that the pistons have valve reliefs there might be enough material to allow a small dish to be machined in the piston crown. Remember it all adds up.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Headgasket compression change is a poor way of doing it :-(

As for octane, it's the yanks that use (ron+mon)/2, europe, uk, nz, oz all use RON pure. no one uses mon pure AFAIK.

Good to see you hanging around! :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Peter »

longracing wrote:Maybe copper head gaskets would be the easiest way to drop compression.
If I do anything to the compression I'll probably raise it, and lower the boost.

It's up and running again.

Yesterday I broke the top off of my knock sensor trying to pull the electrical plug off. So I made a trip to my family's ranch where I have an old block that I was hoping would have a good knock sensor on it. No such luck, it was worse off than the one that was in my car. I was going to try and fix it with some epoxy, but I couldn't even get it out, and I ended breaking it too.

In other news the front right hub on my truck decided that only well maintained things should work. So I got stuck on my way to get the knock sensor.

I ended up spending about an hour and a half getting the hub to engage with very few tools, and a flashlight in my mouth, so that I could make it back up a muddy hill.

EDIT: One comma for a conjunction.
Last edited by Peter on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
:-p
Peter

Post by Peter »

This car scared the shit out of me. I screwed around town for awhile, and it seemed to be doing fine. So I took it out on the interstate, and it starts smoking like a pig. I'm thinking I screwed up putting one of the pistons in, and it broke the rings or something. So I turned around and headed back to town, and start playing with it in the driveway. It doesn't have an excessive amount of positive crankcase pressure, and all the cylinders have good compression. So I pulled the exhaust pipe off a turbo, and it's not smoking at all. After thinking about it for a little bit, I'm thinking maybe the exhaust is just full of oil, and it has to get hot to burn it out. So I take off out south of town. It smokes excessively for about 12 miles with the engine fairly wrapped up. When it stopped smoking I'm figuring it has either burned the oil of the exhaust, or it has run out of oil to burn. I turned around and came back to town watching for the oil pressure light. To my amazement it seems to be running just fine.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Peter wrote:If I do anything to the compression I'll probably raise it, and lower the boost.
You're already at 10:1, going higher pretty much = no boost. Set the boost to a reasonable level for the fuel, and call it a day? 7 or 8 psi with an overly rich mixture until you sort out some ign timing control?

Sucks about the hub, good work getting it working.

Thanks for the morning entertainment, your posts always crack me up, one way or another :-)

Fred.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I was looking through my Facebook albums, and I found this. This happened a "long time"(one engine) before FreeEMS. I had put a new timing belt, pulleys, and water pump on this engine, and about a year later the timing belt tensioner decided to take a shit. Only a few unbelt valves left.
I figured everybody else should get a good laugh from it too.
Fred

Post by Fred »

LOL/Ouch! There is a user on here who has an apt description for guys like you: "no mechanical sympathy" :-)