Jaguar XJ6 Build Thread (AJ16 into a Series XJ)

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Jaguar XJ6 Build Thread (AJ16 into a Series XJ)

Post by Compassion »

In effort to sort out a more pragmatic project, I'm looking at transplanting the natural aspirated motor from an X300 XJ6, the Jaguar body style from 1995-1997 into my 1979 XJ6L. On the face of it, it doesn't look like the two have much in common, but there's a car that is an intermediary of the two, the XJ-S 3.6.

Previous projects that have paved this ground include work by Arnoud Bordewijk with his Frankenjag (links currently unavailable), and David Woods, with Ropey and an XJ6R (the AJ16 with a supercharger!) transplant.

It's a bit rare to see manual Jaguars post-1970, altogether, in the United States. Something about the US market research lead them to conclude that it wasn't in their interests to have people rowing their own gears.

Me? I'd like a manual Jaguar, myself. Michelle's 240z project has inspired me to want to go down that route, and in the process, I'd like to make a more economical daily driver. The prospect of 11 mpg with the V12 and the increased cost of the 6spd conversion for it (the gearbox alone would cost what this project should cost in total) didn't really get me anywhere with fiscal discussions with my wife, nor my own concerns. Also, the V12 is a bit of a stretch with where development is for FreeEMS, pragmatically-speaking, but it will get there, one day. :) I also don't want to do certain things 12 times over, at the moment. Quantities add up fast! So, that project is on the back-burner right now.

Parts Overview
* XJ-S 3.6L Sourced (82-92):
  • Water Pump
  • Radiator & Radiator hoses
  • Header tank
  • Engine Mounts (everything that mounts between the subframe and the motor)
* XJ40 XJ6 Sourced (1990-1994) with an emphasis on the later model:
(Note the engine revision is AJ6)
  • ECU
  • Engine & Wiring Harness
  • Distributor
  • Intake manifold
  • Source timing ring/trigger wheel from an AJ6
* X300 XJ6 Sourced (1995-1997):
  • AJ16 Engine with accessories (retain the CAS, coil on plug setup, and intake for later)
(Note: Stock Timing Ring / Trigger Wheel Setup is 60-1)
(Note: Stock motor used a MAF)
  • Getrag 290
  • Rear manual gearbox mount
* Original Parts Series XJ parts:
  • Series XJ 2/3 Manual Pedal Box
* Other:
  • WBo2
* In my possession:
Two TA cards

The plan:
* Source the XJ-S parts from US and UK wrecking yards (The 3.6 was rare in the US)
* Install an AJ16 motor & Getrag 290 gearbox controlled by an ECU from an XJ40 (which will require using its Dizzy and a 60-3 trigger wheel)
* Get the car stabilized/licensed/usable before continuing with FreeEMS with further usability fixes like harness additions for gauges, etc.

Potential Strategies for AJ16 engine management:
* Hack on EDIS (with a 36-1 trigger wheel) for Spark, FreeEMS for Fuelling
* Determine how Stock Ignition Amp works, workout code / circuits for FreeEMS control + Fuelling
(Original XJ40 motor used MAF.)
or
* Leave XJ40 ECU on for fuelling, Work on Spark via FreeEMS with later coil-on-plug setup & CAS
* Move over to full FreeEMS control via two ECUs for fully-sequential ignition & fueling

Optional:
* Finish development on XJ40 intake manifold, change to X300 manifold & parts
* Merge to one ECU when resources/milestones are available

Longer-Term Possibilities:
* Differential Swap (To limited slip with a different ratio)
* AJ16S (The AJ16 with an Eaton M90 Blower!)
Fred

Re: Jaguar XJ6 Build Thread (AJ16 into a Series XJ)

Post by Fred »

Evie, given we're talking 6 cylinder engines now, I'd strongly recommend wasted spark operation (even if using COP/CNP/CPP hardware) and semi sequential injection. For low power density setups, this will work really nicely. Switch to two CPUs or use XG BB later, if unsatisfied or curious. Use the 60-1 wheel, initially that'll mean REALLY low RPM limit, but I'll fix it as soon as someone is using it... :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

Semi-sequential / wasted-spark it is. After reading the X300 wiring diagrams, it is obvious that they used semi-sequential stock, and probably used wasted spark with direct lines for each to the ECU to determine if any of the COP hardware had gone bad.

60-1 seems sensible for the FreeEMS work. What's the current rev limit on it? 3k? Really low, I guess means I'll just be able to idle, at the least. On the plus side, if I build it and a motor is waiting, support will come. (Along with appropriate documentation.)

The accessories are pretty predictable.
Accessories to work with on the X300 AJ16 Engine :
MAF (probably will get changed for MAP), Crankshaft Position Sensor, Cam Angle Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Throttle Position Sensor, Coolant Temp, Intake Temp, Two Knock Sensors, 2 or 4 o2 sensors (one for each bank pre and post cat, depending on market.) I hope to end up with just the two o2 sensor setup.

There's some relay control for a secondary air pump. Hopefully I'll be able to delete it. I can't really carry over the Evap control systems easily, either.
In short, nothing too staggeringly odd.

Accessories to work with on the XJ40 Manifold:
MAF (again, change for MAP, probably), Crankshaft Position Sensor, Idle Speed Actuator, Throttle Position Sensor, Coolant Temp, Intake Temp.

The odder control bits are the Air injection pump controls, EGR solenoid valves, which have a separate temperature control, and another purge valve for the Evap system.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Compassion wrote:60-1 seems sensible for the FreeEMS work. What's the current rev limit on it? 3k?
A little under 3k, but definitely over 2k :-)
Really low, I guess means I'll just be able to idle, at the least.
Yes, idle, no probs. Drivable, gently, probably :-)
On the plus side, if I build it and a motor is waiting, support will come. (Along with appropriate documentation.)
Yep :-)
The accessories are pretty predictable.
Worry about that stuff after running it. One thing at a time. Simple inj/ign control first :-)
magnoliav12
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by magnoliav12 »

Hi there.
I saw this thread and wanted to post something as well. I have 2 XJS's ( one with a blown V12. ) A fellow enthusiast had an AJ6 3.6 motor ( with 60-1 wheel ) from an '87 and I would like to build an ECU for that engine and use the existing trigger wheel. I still haven't pulled the V12 on that particular XJS, but would like to see how far any of you have gotten with the project yourself to acquire some info on what I need to do for my project. BTW, the 3.6 came with everything except ECU. Also came with ZF trans as well.
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

Hi magnoliav12,

I have still been gathering parts. I recently found out that the facelifted XJS with the 4.0L AJ16 should have the same front subframe brackets as the AJ6 in the 3.6 XJ-S. Why this is relevant is because I got my AJ16 motor and Getrag 290 in last month, but haven't been able to get it into the car yet.

You've got a bit of a jaunt to do for a 3.6L transplant into the V12 XJS.
* The V12 is heavier than the AJ6 3.6L, so you'll need to get springs from the XJS.
* Motor mounts to the subframe from a 3.6L or the whole subframe from an 3.6L XJ-S.

I'm surprised it came with a 60-1 wheel. I expected that it had the alternative trigger wheel style. You'll need to figure out the impedance of the injectors on the original motor (high-z, low-z) to determine how you'll be driving them (or find alternative injectors that fit), probably obtain an idle air control valve and get a MAP sensor setup to repalce.

I haven't done anything further on the planning. I wanted to do a test fit with the motor in place, obtain my intake manifolds, and then start doing the wiring loom design.

I'll be posting when I have more, though!
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

Andy/ DeuceEFI,
I'm considering using EDIS for my AJ16 project in lieu of the AJ16 coil packs. Can the Jaguar PCB/ECU do the drive of the EDIS controller, or is a 36-1 trigger-wheel (the Jaguar AJ16 has a 60/2 variant on the crank) required? I'm just considering a Jaguar build as an alternate to a TA-card or dual TA-card build.

I saw elsewhere a note that EDIS hasn't been fully developed at this time due to a lack of technical data. There's an ailing Ford Taurus w/EDIS I have access to that I might be able get this data from a run like SAW/PIP waveforms with the right type of tapped-in harness.
Fred

Post by Fred »

No EDIS code exists at all thus far. I have some ideas on how to write it, but other things are a priority. Your time frame is fairly long anyway, though, right?
Compassion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Compassion »

The motor transplant is happening this month. I ordered my engine mounts this week, they should be arriving next week. I will be doing a test fit in the next two weeks.

I will be starting the harness design work, once the engine is in place and I have exhaust manifolds in place.

The time is a little more variable for figuring out the cooling system and obtaining parts, but should be sorted by the middle of June. I'll mention schedule setbacks as they occur.

All said and done, I'm targeting the end of June till the middle of July to start considering ECU integration, depending on which avenue things go down.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Does integration mean "start of install" or "fires up"? :-) It shouldn't be difficult to write the decoder when you need it. Once you have a setup wired up and a log of it cranking, we can record the signal from the EDIS module and write the code. Short time frame from there, so it won't be sitting long :-)