Eli's Test Engine

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Eli
DIP8 - Involved

Eli's Test Engine

Post by Eli »

I bought a wrecked 99 Toyota Camry with the 5S-FE 2.2L four banger engine. It has about 100k on it but i think it's still in good shape. I'll be using this engine for freeEms Dev and for researching the following technology's:
  • Hydrogen boost – HOD “Hydrogen On Demand” combustion aid
  • Vapor Fuel – HyCO “HydroCarbon Oxygenator” combustion aid
  • Active Water Injection – improves octane rating combustion aid
  • Fuel Leaning – in proportion to combustion aid
All of these technology's improve fuel mileage when used in the correct proportion.

"comments welcome"

Fred

Re: Eli's Test Engine

Post by Fred »

First job (other than putting a FreeEMS controller of some sort together) is to find out what sort of crank and cam patterns it uses. HOPEFULLY it uses the old 24/2 setup, which would be good, as I want to write some sweet code for that and will need testers.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Cool another science junky, I was feeling a bit alone :) Welcome along.

Looks to be natural aspirated, does this have any other odd circuits? Looks like normal ignition, not CDI, and it appears o be a fairly standard engine. Probably the most unique will be the RPM as Fred has noted.

What talents do you bring to the table, are you electrical minded, mechanical, other, ect. Just wondering what your general skill set is, so I can converse accordingly.
Eli
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Eli »

First job (other than putting a FreeEMS controller of some sort together) is to find out what sort of crank and cam patterns it uses.
OK I'll see what I can find out. I still have to bring the car home and pull the engine so if that ends up being the only way to find out the crank and cam patterns it will be a while till i get the time to do it.
Cool another science junky, I was feeling a bit alone :) Welcome along.
Thank You. I'm so glad to be part of this project!
What talents do you bring to the table, are you electrical minded, mechanical, other, ect. Just wondering what your general skill set is, so I can converse accordingly.
Academically I have nothing, but form a young age I have learned to over come problems by leaning and never giving up until I have the problem solved. So the story go like this, about six years ago I became interested in improving vehicle fuel mileage and found lots of other people trying to do the same but they all had the same problem, the EMS. It has been a wall that no one has gotten around. At that point I started teaching my self electronics and eventually came to work at machmotion.com (a company that makes cnc computer controls) where i have continued to learn about the following:
  • PCB design (thru hole and smd)
  • encoders
  • A little programing
  • And many other electronics related skills
  • sheet metal fab
  • machining
I also have the following tools at work that I can use anytime:
  • pick-a-place machine
  • PCB oven
  • hot air rework station
some metal working machines:
  • press brake
  • metal shear
  • mig sheet metal welder
  • some lathes and milling machines cnc and manual
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cool! I didn't know most of that :-)

Hey, can I recommend leaving it in the car with mounts, wiring, hoses, systems, etc and getting it running there before you pull it and do other stuff? Obviously having a wrecked car laying around isn't ideal, but if you've got space etc, it'd be the easiest option.

Re the sensor, you can do that without taking the engine out of the car, just a few bolts/screws and it should be very clear. You could also do it with a scope and cranking the thing over. It's not a big job, just one that needs doing.

Fred.
Eli
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Eli »

hey thanks i'll see if i can do that.
Eli
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Eli »

i want to watch the air fuel ratio in my car while i'm driving, what is the best/cost effective wb o2 and wb o2 controller for this? Also how much delay does the o2 sensor have?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Eli, innovate produce one of, if not the fastest units. There is a lot of excellent discussion in the following thread about speed from two knowledgable guys:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1033

If you don't want to fork out for an LC1, and perhaps anyway, you should check out what Alan has on offer at www.14point7.com, just had a nosey, seems like the cheapest option is this http://www.14point7.com/SLC-OEM.php plus some diy work :-)

Fred.
Eli
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Eli »

Thanks Fred! I knew I could count on you to save me a bundle and get the best product. It's funny the guys a work use that parlex usb serial port you pointed me towards all the time!
Eli
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Eli »

First job (other than putting a FreeEMS controller of some sort together) is to find out what sort of crank and cam patterns it uses. HOPEFULLY it uses the old 24/2 setup, which would be good, as I want to write some sweet code for that and will need testers.
How do i find out what sort of crank and cam patterns i have?