VW Corrado G60

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
obi-lan
TO220 - Visibile

VW Corrado G60

Post by obi-lan »

Heres my forever bad luck project, VW Corrado G60. 6-7 years ago I bought it as turboed but shortly after pistons were blown to pieces. Broken pistons couple months after buy

My relatives and friends said to get rid of that junk but instead I decided to rebuild the engine. I got new block etc and build new engine from pieces and this time used original G Supercharger. My first ever engine rebuild lasted about 200km and ended with blown rod bearing

My mistake were mixed rod caps. At this time something had bitten me and I started to rebuild engine again. Machine shop machined my rods and crank and kindly made markings so that I wont mix rod caps anymore

I had been looking way to get more HP but learnt that every mechanical modification needed change in ECU programming. Also learnt that my cars ECU (Bosch Digifant I) was something that somebody called "dark lord" because of it habit to destroy tuned engines.. At this time I had heard of MegaSquirt so instead of bying expensive after mark tuning chips to my crappy ecu, I decided to buy standard MS2 kit with v3.0 board. Made new harness. Box didn't seem to be so waterproof so I put it into glovebox. Wiring harness trough firewall was PITA.

For some reason even though it worked fine I didn't consider my original MS2 "reliable". Also wanted more nice things like bigger injectors, alternating injection to ease backpressure in fuel rail, wasted spark, didn't want to wire trough firewall again etc etc so I decided to buy somthing called Kdfi, it had nice things like a option for waterproof casing, onboard usb connector, onboard wideband controller, onboard knock and so on. Practically its a board build to run MS2Extra code with many extra circuits vs original board and smd layout without processor card.

Thats what I'm running now, Freds rant at irc got me here and as a curious person my car may be running freeems in few years..

Some more pictures:

comments welcome