DIYEFI.org Forum Rules

News and other information will be placed here for you.
Admin
Site Admin

DIYEFI.org Forum Rules

Post by Admin »

Right now there are no rules bar these ones on the main page in the "Why" section.

We sincerely hope that it's not necessary to add any.

We will only add rules here IF we have to.

Admin.
Last edited by Fred on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Revert to original form.
DIYEFI.org, where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
Disclaimer
Admin
Site Admin

Rule 1

Post by Admin »

The first "rule" :
  1. Please limit image size to 1024x1024 maximum. I have had to turn off the image size filter as it just crashes with any significant number of them, and I am fond of posting many at a time :-)
EDIT : If you are posting a single image, you can go bigger at your own discretion, this rule is intended for threads with many pictures. All threads with significant amounts of pictures to load either by size or quantity should have a 56k warning on them, not only for 56k users, but also to warn DSL users that it could be heavy going.

I don't want to have to pm you about these, so just behave :-)

Thank you,

Admin.
Last edited by Fred on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Move rule 1 to own post.
Disclaimer
Admin
Site Admin

Rule 2

Post by Admin »

The second rule :

Editing is only for a few specific things :
  1. Correcting wrong information to prevent its propagation. (Usually much later than the original post when new info comes to light. This should not be done without highlighting what has changed and/or leaving the original in place if the flow of conversation will be affected by it.)
  2. Adding to and updating long running posts rather than posting repeatedly with updates. (please ensure that you bump the topic when you do this to allow people to know something has changed)
  3. Toning down a post that is offensive upon request.
  4. Perhaps others?
Editing is NOT for these things :
  1. Adding more content to a post in a discussion thread (post a second time!)
  2. Changing posts to deceive others and misrepresent the past.
  3. Perhaps others?
May I also respectfully ask you to put a reason for your edit and if appropriate highlight the edited piece of the post so it is obvious what changed.

In general very FEW edits will be necessary for normal users. I ask that you PLEASE read around and think before posting. This is just basic good manners, courtesy and above all, common sense. It is extremely irritating to find the post you were replying to has changed wholesale while you were typing (we aim to be quick around here). It is also annoying to find people changing things that they shouldn't be changed to avoid embarrassment etc.

Punishment for misuse of the edit button will simply be a removal of your right to edit. Future edits will have to be run through a moderator who will perform it if they approve.

I regret having to put this here at all, however there was recently a situation where a user was NOT reading around and thinking first before posting. Consequently he was doing a lot of editing, much of which while I was trying to reply to what was in effect a moving target. He is no longer with us at his own option.

Admin.
Disclaimer
Admin
Site Admin

Rule 3

Post by Admin »

The third rule :

In the very rare event of me or one of my moderators removing one of your posts, do NOT repost the material that was removed. Doing so will get you a warning, repeatedly doing it will get your account cut down to size.

Again, I don't want this rules thread to even exist, and before MotoFab coming along it didn't really. I've had to "delete" 9 posts in 6 months. All 9 of them in the last 1 month. 8 of the 9 belonging to MotoFab. MotoFab is on his final warning. For the core members, the deleted posts are available for viewing in the deleted section so that you can see how meaningless and worthless they were.

Please don't waste my time with more of this behaviour.

Admin.

Edit : In just a few hours it's gone from 8/9 to 10/11 and MotoFab can no longer post in the comments section. There are two reasons for this, A he was posting immature rubbish there B I'm not interested in his comments anymore. For the rest of you, I am certainly interested in what you have to say, please continue to speak freely.
Disclaimer
Admin
Site Admin

Rule 4

Post by Admin »

The fourth rule :

Moderator and Admin actions are final. If you didn't like something that happened, PM about why, do not post up a protest thread etc. This sort of thing is common sense, but some people are hot headed and tend to react before thinking about what happened and why. If you have a genuine concern and you can articulate it to me via PM and back it up with evidence, I'll happily back down and revert the change I or a mod made.

The core members of this site, ie, those that have proven to be constructive worthwhile citizens of our online community can voice their concerns about my actions in the committee area. This is acceptable because I trust those people to have solid reasons for their views. Some other users have proven that they can't be trusted to act in a logical and unemotional manner at all times.

Most likely nothing much will happen and I'll not need to do anything about this.

I'm fairly sick of having to deal with kids in the playground though, so I'm going to be a little more iron fisted with those that show a consistently bad behaviour pattern.

Admin.
Disclaimer