Image Attachments

News and other information will be placed here for you.
Fred

Image Attachments

Post by Fred »

I don't like people using the attachment feature for images, however I leave it there as a convenience service for things that should be attached and for those without image service accounts as an interim measure.

Please, get yourself an account on an image hosting service like imgur, tinypic, flickr, picaso, photobucket, imageshack or 10 thousand other services that do the same thing. If you don't want to do that, no problem, but do be courteous with your uploads or I'll be forced to disallow .jpg and .png extensions.

1920 max width, 1meg max size, preferably 1024 or 1280 max width unless there is some reason to show more detail. Small images are also useless, try to keep them 640 or more wide. If they are portrait the width is the height.

It's also not possible to show uploaded images in a convenient way, img tags and external hosting is a better option, almost always.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Images per page!

Post by Fred »

I'd like to add something to this. Something that I'm somewhat expert in, having done it wrongly many, many, times myself.

Images per page!

Or, more accurately, bandwidth per page...

Examples of OK:
  • 1 HUGE image is fine. (provided that it's a compressed jpeg or sparse png)
  • 10 1280x1280 images are fine.
  • 20 1024x1024 images are fine.
Examples of NOT OK:
  • 10 HUGE images are NOT fine.
  • 100 1280x1280 images are NOT fine.
  • 200 1024x1024 images are NOT fine.
If you indulge in these, you will get your post vandalised in order to remove the hazard ASAP. Posts will be locked and you can ask for them to be unlocked once you have your size/quantity in order.

Note, this is per page. If you have 20 or so to post, split them over multiple posts in order to keep the per page numbers down to a reasonable level. This strategy doesn't work for HUGE images, though. If it's more than just one or maybe two, resizing appropriately is mandatory.

BMP images are almost never fine, either.

This is a basic courtesy to your fellow users. I know we can all get a bit excited sometimes, and some of us are the lazy side of go, but do your friends a favour and do the right thing.

If you see someone else doing this before I do, do them a favour and link them here.

Fred.
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Image Attachments

Post by BenFenner »

Don't forget, linking (instead of embedding) is always an option. If you have a lot of images to post, consider embedding one or two and linking the rest. This gives folks the ability to download them (or not) at their own pace.
Fred

Re: Image Attachments

Post by Fred »

Good point, you can link whatever you want, any time, more or less. If the files that you're linking are huge, put a warning with them. The above covers images within [img] tags that are automatically downloaded by your browser and displayed.