possibly pursuing a wideband o2 controller

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
Fred

Re: possibly pursuing a wideband o2 controller

Post by Fred »

None of those with the possible exception of EGT belong in a wbo2 controller really. Most of them are definitely EMS things. Any serious user (most of the people that will build and use this thing) will be hooking it up to an ECU and datalogging it that way anyway. If you throw in the kitchen sink you may lose the appeal IMO.

Opinions may vary.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
zlyricist
TO220 - Visibile

Post by zlyricist »

i agree, but i have seen quite a lot of people running their setup on stock ecu's w an aftermarket chip, or hacked air meters. it is those people that this would appeal to. just not the more hardcore standalone crowd you would find on this site.....
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by shameem »

zlyricist wrote:well ive gotten started on a few things. as far as sensor inputs to go along with the wideband controller, so far im thinking of the following
rpm
tps
iat
map
egt
pulse width

what other inputs would people want, if any? thanks guys!
If you are looking to log those values from a "stock" car - then PW may not be a variable that is easily obtained. Even MS does not output PW (but i guess you can reprogram it). Are you planning on tapping into *all* the injector signals average their open/close times and calculating the pulse width?

Also personally - i would want to log coolant temperature (or head temperature) for tuning purposes....

If there was a way to look at spark advance that would be awesome too....
Fred

Post by Fred »

zlyricist wrote:it is those people that this would appeal to. just not the more hardcore standalone crowd you would find on this site...
That's the thing, I'm not sure that someone that didn't bother to properly tune their engine is going to want to know about any of the other stuff going on, especially if they can't change it or can't change it accurately.
shameem wrote:If you are looking to log those values from a "stock" car - then PW may not be a variable that is easily obtained.
True, but also, you don't care about PW, you care about Duty Cycle :-) That you can get from any signal if you sampling frequency is high enough. Then again, how would you do RPM in a generic way? If you want this to be usable in random cars, you have a LOT of work ahead of you to read RPM cleanly. The ADC input ones are fine as they are easy and compact to do adding value without costing you lots of dev time and without costing lots of board space and consequently reducing value to all the other users that don't want or need those features. Stuff like PW, advance and RPM will be a pain at some level or other, esp if you want it generic.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's easy to write a list like that, but you need to be careful about the consequences of things on your list.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!