OEM ECU data logger and interceptor idea

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

OEM ECU data logger and interceptor idea

Post by davebmw »

OK here's the thing, you have a new standalone ECU you have just built, you have no idea if its going to work in the big wide world, it works ok on the basic stimulator you get out what you expect and it all seems to behave quite well with minimal smokage. But getting that engine to run first time is, or can be a total bitch!

Wouldn't it be really handy to have a single board PIC or MCU based project that intercepts and logs all the data streaming to and from the OEM ECU. In theory you could find out where the crank timing angle is, you could log all parameters and generate OEM base maps to program into your new build FreeEMS and minimise the time it takes to get the system off the ground.

If nothing else it could get you a system that does all the original OEM did, but with one major difference, you can tweak as required and if all else fails and you get it really screwy reset it back to OEM and start again.

Would this not be an ideal tuning tool to encourage newbies to take up FreeEMS and generate massive interest?
Is it some thing that could be programmed into the FreeEMS board to sit there passively learning everything it needs from the OEM ECU building maps and settings based upon your normal and not so normal driving habits?
or is it a job better suited to a PIC based project maybe based around the PIC 18F4525 or similar?

thoughts please guys :worship:
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Re: OEM ECU data logger and interceptor idea

Post by Fred »

davebmw wrote:thoughts please guys :worship:
You are pissed aren't you!

I was intending to write some special firmware to log that sort of stuff on the toy ecu, BUT then the one I got turned out to be unusable in that way...

You could definitely get it to create a tune for the basics like that, but I doubt the effort put into it would be worthwhile.

Once I sorted out my wiring/ms's documentation issues mine started up first time. It shouldn't be much of an issue really.

Maybe I will still hook something up to the working ECU and have a read of the data anyway. Not sure.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

3rd glass!!
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Post by Fred »

davebmw wrote:3rd glass!!
Cheap drunk! And you call yourself a POHM??? :-p My sister can out drink me 2:1 and she says the POHMs typically out drink her by the same amount! Yet you are getting all keyboard happy on just three glasses. Poor form ;-) Should be 3 bottles! :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

ps, sainsburys have a nice french red on special at half price right now :

Terres De Galets

Cotes Du Rhone

Gabriel Meffre

4.5 quid

Fred.
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

You haven't seen the size of the glass! its a third of a bottle!!

I have been drinking a really cheap Red, Marques Del Norte, Rioja 2007 its something like £3 a bottle from Asda, very drinkable!

PS can you get a Pissed and a puking smiley for the collection? 8-)
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Hmmm, that's in interesting idea, perhaps a good JimStim V2 or similar? I suspect it would be significantly costly. I wonder could such an item be worked in as part of a connection board... I think the answer will be found at the bottom of the glass. The unfortunately thing is you don't know what glass, so you'll have to keep emptying them until you find it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:I think the answer will be found at the bottom of the glass. The unfortunately thing is you don't know what glass, so you'll have to keep emptying them until you find it.
LOL
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

You could use it to log injector duty and use that to calculate fuel consumption... make a nice little UI for it to mount on the dash...
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

Yes I agree I think there could be loads of uses for it besides robbing tuning data from the OEM ECU and a cool debug tool to run alongside the FreeEMS.

PS: BMW's already have this feature calculated from injector pulse width Vs Road speed, Once the FreeEMS is up and running in my car I have to find a way to simulate this signal to get the gauge working again.
I think it requires a simple bit of code to pull the PW and calculate from the vehicle speed sensor. the trick will be calibrating it to read correctly. This is where this datalogger will be really handy again for total code noobs like me!