where do i start?

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
midnightcamaro
TO92 - Vaguely active

where do i start?

Post by midnightcamaro »

ive been an automotive technician awhile now and i have decent understanding of electrical systems, but i would love to build my own ECU. but most all of this stuff is still over my head a bit. whats the best way to start and learn and actually build something.
Fred

Re: where do i start?

Post by Fred »

Right now, the best way to start is to fuel inject a real engine in a real car with an existing setup. If you aren't looking to make mega power, and you are willing to be careful with your wiring and setup, grab a cheap as chips ms1 v2.2 and just do it! You'll learn a lot in the process, and by the time you are done you can be part of our valued testing team here ;-)

If you want to make big power, substitute the ms2 in there instead, if you want better noise rejection and board quality make it ms2 + v3.0.

Prices are on http://www.diyautotune.com and range between about us 150 and us 250 for the combos I've mentioned thus far.

You will also need a wideband on top of that, and of course all the other efi stuff (easy if its already injected). For a wideband, consider JAW (kit set wideband that is reported to be pretty good (I'm going to try it at the first opportunity!)) and innovate for an off the shelf setup.

If you've not built electronics before, grab some kits from a techy shop that do something else like audio amp etc and practice there first.

Best of luck :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by shameem »

Fred wrote:If you want to make big power, substitute the ms2 in there instead, if you want better noise rejection and board quality make it ms2 + v3.0.
Please forgive my noob questions - but i am curious-

Why is processor speed/ADC resolution related to big power?

I thought V3 board had more noise issues due to power/digital/analog ground mixup -
http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=224
thebigmacd
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by thebigmacd »

shameem wrote:
Fred wrote:If you want to make big power, substitute the ms2 in there instead, if you want better noise rejection and board quality make it ms2 + v3.0.
Please forgive my noob questions - but i am curious-

Why is processor speed/ADC resolution related to big power?

I thought V3 board had more noise issues due to power/digital/analog ground mixup -
http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=224
Finer resolution of the injector pulsewidth so you can run bigger injectors and still have good driveability, and finer resolution of spark advance. That's pretty much it. Oh, and the ability to do more complex calculations (adjustment table etc) in the same cycle time.
Keith MacDonald
Control Engineering (Systems) Technologist
Fred

Post by Fred »

Exactly what BMCD said :-)

My post was done in a rush and poorly worded, sorry about that.

Noise rejection is just a function of the board, not the CPU, in fact, if anything the MS1 cpu is more noise resistant because it doesn't have the resolution to pick up the noise.

The MS2 has 10 bit ADC instead of the MS1s 8 bit, and MUCH faster CPU for crunching numbers more frequently and therefore more up to date. It also has more timer channels to use to output the pulse widths with finer granularity. It's just much much better, and in reality, though it is IO short, it doesn't have much less than the MS1 at the end of the day, and it IS expandable with the GPIO board IF they ever release it....

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!