tuning software

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
guillermdev
TO220 - Visibile

tuning software

Post by guillermdev »

I am new here.
What software do you use to make tuning adjustments?
I thought it was megatunix, but I can not find it.
Fred

Re: tuning software

Post by Fred »

If you mean FreeEMS, you're in the wrong section. And if you do, and are, then we use a modified copy of EMStudio that's only available to genuine users. It's effectively Linux only though. Mac is too painful. Windows is even worse.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
guillermdev
TO220 - Visibile

Post by guillermdev »

Hello,
thanks Fred. Yes it is for FreeEMS.
Sorry for the wrong section.

My project is new, and for the moment I inquire.
Today I am Microsquirt Module V2.2 User , and I created my own mainboard for use it.
I wanted to use MS3 Daughterboard Kit, but it is licensed, then I can not make my mainboard for use it.
I then thought to FreeEms.
Would it be possible to have a link to get an idea of the software? What are these options? what it can control?

sorry for my english.
is there a section for french user (may be an idea) ?
Fred

Post by Fred »

No worries re the section. I'll move it later when the discussion has concluded.

If by "get an idea of the software" you mean EMStudio and what *it* can control, then:

2D and 3D tables are editable either unitless, or with units if meta data in the app vaguely matches the firmware.
All other memory (configuration, 1D look up tables) can be accessed and edited with a hex editor which is painful, but has proven useful sometimes.
It datalogs in binary format suitable for opening in OLV or ULV log viewers
You can view the meta data from the device (versions, dates/times, email/name of builder, etc)
You can watch real time live data from the device in several forms (gauges, values, status flags, etc)
You can reset the device
You can control the bench test variant
You can setup your offset with a wizard
You can set your TPS up with a wizard

So the main thing missing is configuration, which is done using source code, you build the firmware from source after filling in details for your engine.

The other main thing that's missing is offline mode, so it's not much fun to try it without a connected device.

Which operating system/OS are you on?

Re languages, your English is better than Google's French ;-) The Spanish section is because I hablar un poco y mi mujer is from Madrid :-) There's no one on here with good knowledge who speaks French AFAIK. Don't worry too much about it, I'm pretty patient so long as you're making an effort, which you clearly are :-)
guillermdev
TO220 - Visibile

Post by guillermdev »

for my ecu, I need the following feature :

- use only 4 cylinder
- rpm/throttle map for injection and ignition
- possibility to sequential, semi-sequential, or full group injection
- i use only high impedance injector 14-16ohms
- possibility to wasted spark or sequential ignition
- possibility to use logic coils (with integred drivers/controller) or high current coil
- Toothed wheel with missing tooth (60-2,36-1)
- Ambient Absolute Pressure (barometric) , Intake Air Temperature (IAT) and Coolant Temperature
- crank and cam sensor VR
- user programable output (relay coolant, fuel pump, shiftlight...)
- launch control (with variable rpm)
- Tacho output
- Wideband lambda controller (maybe intregerd ?)
- Knock ?
- USB Conector (ftdi)

I think is similar to CoolEFI Basic ECU (maybe can i use it ) ?

My experiences allow me to use and understand the various electronic schematic. But I'm not an engineer and am not able to make component calculation. I know and use kicad.
I am also not able to code (I have notions of the old "basic" or code for Arduino, but not more).

I am ready to learn. But my English is sometimes a problem to understand (google translate helps me but not always).
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote:Which operating system/OS are you on?
Please answer this question, for example: Windows 7, Debian 5, Mint 8, Ubuntu 14.04 Mac 10.7.1 etc. If more than one, list them :-)

Answers in bold:
guillermdev wrote:for my ecu, I need the following feature :

- use only 4 cylinder fine
- rpm/throttle map for injection and ignition normal
- possibility to sequential, semi-sequential, or full group injection yes, caveat: 6 timed outputs total
- i use only high impedance injector 14-16ohms good
- possibility to wasted spark or sequential ignition yes, caveat: 6 timed outputs total
- possibility to use logic coils (with integred drivers/controller) or high current coil logic only in current designs, by choice. high current drivers inside the ECU is a BAD idea, if you design your own, you can do it, but I do no recommend it - you'll have issues
- Toothed wheel with missing tooth (60-2,36-1) yes, fully generic from 4-1 to 100-10 or something like that. caveat: high RPM limitations on higher counts, 60-2 2500 36-1 5000 approx, fixes coming
- Ambient Absolute Pressure (barometric) , Intake Air Temperature (IAT) and Coolant Temperature yes: logged, used, used
- crank and cam sensor VR yes: hardware dependent
- user programable output (relay coolant, fuel pump, shiftlight...) yes, simple on/off with hysteresis on any value, fuel pump is not programmable, it has special logic - you can choose the timeout
- launch control (with variable rpm) what type? "2 step" is easy to implement and has been used before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGxxafir7n0
- Tacho output more detail needed, hardware component, software has limitations, but works for most setups, possible more flexible future variant, too.
- Wideband lambda controller (maybe intregerd ?) input is there, logged, no closed loop, not integral in existing designs, you could do it with a 14point7 module, but i don't recommend it
- Knock ? no support, not overly useful in high power applications, and only limits efficiency a little in lower power by giving sufficient margin
- USB Conector (ftdi) all current hardware uses this

I think is similar to CoolEFI Basic ECU (maybe can i use it ) ? No, you can't. Sorry.
guillermdev
TO220 - Visibile

Post by guillermdev »

I use Windows 8.1 but i can install an other system.

Actually i use a microsquirt module v2.2 with high current coil into the ecu : the driver is FGP3440G2_F085 Fairchild. It works fine. 400km of race rally.

CoolEFI Basic ECU is not appropried ? or why i can't use it ?
Fred

Post by Fred »

No official support for Windows at this time and there is no good version of EMStudio for Windows right now either, and possibly forever. It's an interim solution to be replaced ASAP. But it meets our needs on Debian/Ubuntu, so for now, we keep using it.

High current ignition can work IF it's done correctly however it remains a BAD idea, no matter what anyone says or does. Good that you've had success with it, but it's a scenario that is best avoided. Fortunately most decent modern coils have drivers built in, anyway. This keeps the current round trip short and the overall system noise to a minimum.

CoolEFI Basic ECU does not work with FreeEMS at all. A future version might. You can't use it as is. No other source code is available that runs on it, either, so it's basically an ECU without a purpose, right now. Hold out for a version that works with FreeEMS or use the existing heavily peer-reviewed Jaguar design, instead.
guillermdev
TO220 - Visibile

Post by guillermdev »

ok
I'll start drawing a circuit based on Jaguar.

I'll create a new post for my project, or I continue here and you will move it ?
What do you recommend me Debian or Ubuntu (Debian is based on Ubuntu i think)?
Is it interesting that I publish my circuits for microsquirt module?

Thanks Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

guillermdev wrote:I'll start drawing a circuit based on Jaguar.
Cool :-)
guillermdev wrote:I'll create a new post for my project, or I continue here and you will move it ?
New thread in this section: viewforum.php?f=77
guillermdev wrote:What do you recommend me Debian or Ubuntu (Debian is based on Ubuntu Ubuntu is based on Debian! i think)?
Fixed that for you. Lubuntu 16.04 is a good choice for a beginner with Linux. Note Lubuntu, not Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses unity which is horrible and slow and buggy.

I'm in the process of doing some work that will make Debian/Ubuntu/Mint setup really easy for anyone. Work on the hardware first, do this last, perhaps it'll be ready.
guillermdev wrote:Is it interesting that I publish my circuits for microsquirt module?
That's up to you. If you do, put it in a git repo, and post it in this section: viewforum.php?f=6
guillermdev wrote:Thanks Fred
You're welcome! :-)