Engine Simulator?

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Engine Simulator?

Post by shameem »

I was thinking about buying hardware and testing it on an engine and all the costs/benefits associated with it. Mainly i am under a tight budget right now and wont have the space to setup a development station. Since there are emulators available for the microcontroller - why not have an engine simulator that can be "tied" to the microcontroller emulator. So basically all the development work can be done on computer and later fine tuned on a real setup - this right now seems like an attractive option for me since i dont have to invest in a specific development platform (if i could find cheap/free software that is).

I did a cursory search - and found a few software titles -
http://www.bevenyoung.com.au/mota.htm
http://www.mathworks.com/products/conne ... 202-Stroke

Does anyone know of any opensource stuff?

It might take a little expertise to make the emulator talk to engine simulator and vice versa. But if a package like that can be developed and available for free - then a large amount of hackers could potentially be interested in this.....

Or this is all just an impossible wet dream.....
Fred

Re: Engine Simulator?

Post by Fred »

You and your wet dreams! lol.

AFAIK there are no emulators for our processor. There is one decentish emulator that Alex has obtained, but I don't know how much use it is because it doesn't 100% emulate the core it is supposed to anyway. Really we need all functions working 100% for it to be useful, and at the least the same architecture as our core which is not available at all AFAIK.

Alex is working on a platform to be the ultimate "stim" though, so perhaps some of that code could be reused locally rather than through a hardware interface.

If you are strapped for cash, don't buy a board. There will be plenty of time to get one later. If you have spare cash and are reading this and have time to get involved and like the cause, by all means, do buy one.

There is plenty to do other than run the firmware. You can read it and look for mistakes/room for improvement. You can get involved with the math and serial discussions. You can look up flash writing details and formulate a plan of attach and do a write up in that thread. There is the thermistor generator which you can tidy up and finish once I give you a shell, etc. Lots of stuff to do :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ababkin
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ababkin »

what Fred said

see my sig for links. I ended up not touching the uC emulator/simulator. I figured it would be a much better idea to do the black box testing + automated experimenting/flexible test cases (the way freeesim was conceived to do it) rather than white-box testing, i.e the uC emulator way.

so far i have ign/inj events log (in terms of crank angle, not time) over UART working in relation to the simulated tach wheel. I just need to write a fancy front end to display all that data properly.

Alex
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
Fred

Post by Fred »

so far i have ign/inj events log (in terms of crank angle, AND time) over UART working in relation to the simulated tach wheel.
Fixed it for ya :-) (that is useful for us firmware devs :-p

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!