calculate RPM and crank position,with distributor signal.

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
russian
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: calculate RPM and crank position,with distributor signal

Post by russian »

Yes, this is my concern - I was playing with my engine this weekend and I have seen on my analyzer how far the timing was while I was using the '1 event per revolution' algorithm that I got scared and switched back to the 'handle all events' algorithm.

Again, this is only a _concern_ - I do not know the exact value of timing in-accuracy which would still work. 10 degrees? 20 degrees? Is it only while cranking, or would it also matter while revving?

I would try to allocate some time and actually gather some data on my live engine, that would actually be interesting to look at.
settra
DIP8 - Involved

Post by settra »

well. the "Sure" thing, is at least when cranking, that if i where to control the ignition as well, i would have a problem...
but since the injection, is anyway happening at a closed valve ( i think?? ) and since, during crank, i will anyway supply more fuel, i dont think there will be a big problem..

the reason i want 1 point per revolution, is becouse, with the AVR i will use (Arduino, atmega328), it will be MUCH simplier to handle, than with more points... (especially, determining which point is before which cylinder TDC...)
russian
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by russian »

settra wrote:with the AVR i will use (Arduino, atmega328)
offtopic: it seems like there are ~128 Arduino ECU projects right now, whoever would start a community and unite this force can get a cool project. With my stm32 approach I was shocked to find other people trying the same thing on the same platform and it seems like we are now helping each over.
settra
DIP8 - Involved

Post by settra »

yiap. IF i succeed, i will try to make a webpage about it, because, although there are many projects, the documentation, is very little...
Fred

Post by Fred »

settra wrote:so you mean, that etc:

the first cylinder will have good timing,
but then, when its time to spray the second, or even worse, the 4th, the rpm , will have change so much, that it will be dificult to get the correct timing??
No. Meanwhile russian answers yes. This is how we separate men from boys and products from toys.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
settra
DIP8 - Involved

Post by settra »

No, in what part?? you mean that it will not work at all? or you mean "no there wont be a problem" ?? :)
settra
DIP8 - Involved

Post by settra »

so, no other sensor of cam/crank located on the engine...
BUT. i was able to monitor the distributors signal, by manually turning the engine, by the camshaft....
turns out, that , the signal is constant 12v (or you can invert it. same results), AND goes LOW, 4 times, inside every camshaft rev..
so 4 pulses, equal cam rev, or 2 crank revs...

so... by that signal alone, i suppose i cant get EFI to work, becouse, i will know, that one cylinder is before TDC, BUT , i will not know, which one... correct????

i will need to figure a way, to know, the 1st cylinder's TDC seperatly??? any good way to do so???