Learn To Tune Courses, Anyone Done These?

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
Fred

Learn To Tune Courses, Anyone Done These?

Post by Fred »

http://www.learntotune.com

Curious as to feedback from someone I know :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
crazyafrican
DIP8 - Involved

Re: Learn To Tune Courses, Anyone Done These?

Post by crazyafrican »

A mate of mine that worked at kelford cams with me did their "E.F.I Tuning Training Course Stage 1"
http://www.speedtechnz.com/Training/EFI ... age+1.html

I had a look at his notes and it looked ok. Nothing you cant learn yourself by reading a few books.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks MadAfrican! :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote:Curious as to feedback from someone I know :-)
Someone that I know well and respect recently watched the EFI Fundamentals series of videos and had some feedback. They said:
  • Imperial old-world units used -"First up, to keep the numbers manageable, we're going to change the units from cubic inches to cubic feet", and worst, actual use of Rankine scale for temperature.
  • Very slow pace, monotonous to anyone with a working knowledge of EFI and ICEs.
  • Some grammatical mistakes in spoken English + some Kiwi accent, too. "stoy chee oh metric" rather than "stoy key oh metric". Singular and plural mixes, etc.
  • Statement that boost can raise VE over 100%, implying that he references VE relative to atom, not intake manifold.
  • States that ignition and injector control signals are PWM, which is not really true.
  • States MAF measures reverted air twice, rather than once, but the truth is that it's three times...
  • Reason stated for cold running enrichment "fuel stuck to intake/ports", not true, once established, this is a static quantity for a static state.
  • "There are three types of injection strategy" - false, there are far more. Batch is unstable because fuel pools behind valves - false, it's unstable because some cylinders get evaporated fuel, others get atomised fuel, and still more get pooled fuel.
  • Statements as absolutes without necessary context. This is clearly intended to water down concepts, but saying cc/min >> lb/hr * 10.5 is misleading and in any case that isn't gasoline, plain wrong.
  • "We can convert from seconds to milli seconds by dividing by 1000", wrong, multiply...
  • Module 18d runs though some math and incorrectly makes statements about pulse widths that ignore dead time after previously having pointed out how important it is.
More positively, they said that 17a is a well put together module and clearly illustrates why MS1 systems can never run well under normal day-to-day conditions.

I hope that critique was as useful to you as it was to me. In summary, if you know almost nothing about EFI and ICEs, then go ahead and buy this coarse, keeping the above corrections in mind as you go. If you already have a clue, don't waste your precious time.

Fred.