Old Diesel IDI Tuning

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
majic79
TO92 - Vaguely active

Old Diesel IDI Tuning

Post by majic79 »

So hi, this is my first post here. I'm trying to develop a solution to the problem of tuning my old Toyota 1KZ-TE. This uses an electro-mechanical pump to indirectly inject into a combustion chamber, where an ECU controls the spill port of the pump - closing the spill port causes fuel to be injected. The system must be fairly simple (so hopefully easy to reverse engineer) as it's based on a design that used to be entirely mechanical (where tweaking the mixture was a simple case of tightening or loosening a screw).

Is the easiest solution some sort of signal conditioner (fool the existing ECU so that it produces the result we want) or to engineer some sort of ECU to do the job of the existing one?

however I'm wondering if I'm trying to reinvent the wheel? Has anyone considered a project of this nature before?
Fred

Re: Old Diesel IDI Tuning

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the community! :-)
majic79 wrote:Is the easiest solution some sort of signal conditioner (fool the existing ECU so that it produces the result we want) or to engineer some sort of ECU to do the job of the existing one?
What's your goal? More fuel/smoke/power? You probably need to understand the existing system well before you can answer that question. Poke a scope and DMM at it and see what you can find :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Old Diesel IDI Tuning

Post by masterkorp »

I know those engines, they're proper, had a couple on my hands.

The control is a simple 0-12v signal, you can do a conditioner based on maf and TPS voltage, like all the piggyback overpriced "powerboxes" do.
What I end up doing its to go mechanical VE with modded governor shatf and 12mm distribuitor.
Those engines also hold 1000C EGTs without a sweat.