My open source Wideband Controller, SLC Free

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
molak
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: My open source Wideband Controller, SLC Free

Post by molak »

Excellent!!

I really like you wideband controllers.. I have a NAW_OEM , a SLC_DIY and I recently bought 4 spartan ..
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Post by toalan »

The magazine will not publish my design, I will still move ahead and release my design as an open source project and publish it on my website.

I have laid out a new PCB which will support a 2x16 LCD display.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
flat4power
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by flat4power »

nice work
and really nice idea to add support LCD 2x16
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hi Alan, that sucks! :-( How about GRM? There is a slim chance I could pull a string or two with those guys. It's a pretty big magazine in terms of DIY car stuff, possibly the biggest? I've met both of the guys listed on the wikipedia page and driven one of them in the first FreeEMS car.

We should have a skype to discuss the above and another question that I have about this. I might have some advice for you on that, or you might want something specific already, which I'm interested in hearing about, if you do. Let me know when a good time is, shouldn't take long.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Post by toalan »

Thanks for the offer Fred, I would rather not publish it on an automotive magazine, I wanted an electronics magazine because they can call BS on my design and keep me honest. In a automotive magazine I can put up all sorts of claims and not be called out for it. I still have some options for publication by an electronics magazine but I am just concentrating on finishing up the project first.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fair enough, I guess. I thought you were just looking for exposure. That's an admirable attitude :-)

You might also consider sending a printed version to this guy for a video review, he has quite a following and is not afraid to rip holes in things: https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog

FWIW depending on what you want out of the open sourcing thing, it's a fact that people prefer a half finished project to get involved with, as it gives them something to do. So if you're looking for engagement, waiting till it's finished isn't the right move. Still keen to have a talk about the other aspects if you have time.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
masterkorp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by masterkorp »

I am not an electronic designer by any means, but a cool addiction would be support to higher afr, so the diesel guys can use this :)
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Post by toalan »

Fred wrote:Fair enough, I guess. I thought you were just looking for exposure. That's an admirable attitude :-)

You might also consider sending a printed version to this guy for a video review, he has quite a following and is not afraid to rip holes in things: https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog

FWIW depending on what you want out of the open sourcing thing, it's a fact that people prefer a half finished project to get involved with, as it gives them something to do. So if you're looking for engagement, waiting till it's finished isn't the right move. Still keen to have a talk about the other aspects if you have time.

Fred.
I watch his videos from time to time, he knows his stuff. I will send him an email and see if he has interest in automotive performance, if he does then I will send him a unit and have him tear me a new butthole.

I will try to touch base with you on skype.
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Post by toalan »

masterkorp wrote:I am not an electronic designer by any means, but a cool addiction would be support to higher afr, so the diesel guys can use this :)
The issue with supporting a higher range of AFRs is that it will dramatically increase the flash space required. Right now for 0.68 to 1.36 lambda, there is a lookup table with about 400 entries to map pump current to lambda, each entry is 2 bytes wide, so right now 800 of the 4k bytes available are tied up with the lookup table and that is just for 0.68 to 1.36 lambda.

I suppose if you are ok with reduced resolution that you could somehow fit in a large lambda range, but that is something for someone else to do if they want it.

Regards,

Alan To
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by slacker.cam »

I'm curious as to why you must use a lookup table as opposed to a mathematical approach? Perhaps the speed benefit of not having to do maths is what it comes down to?

Regardless, nice job. This is really good to see. How does this design differ in concept to your other WB designs?