Tablet as ecu / ems controller?

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
Functional
TO92 - Vaguely active

Tablet as ecu / ems controller?

Post by Functional »

Considering the proccessing power of cheap tablet computers and even cellphones, I wonder if a small tablet couldn't be used as a permanent replacement for the computer in the average vehicle? Obviously there would need to be some sort of electronics to interface the USB to the OBD1 or OBD2 connector, (maybe something like an ELM327 usb interface)?

Just a though.

F.
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Tablet as ecu / ems controller?

Post by malcom2073 »

If a processor is running an OS or a display, then it's way too busy to run an engine. Also, I think you misunderstand how the ELM327 works. It interfaces with the computer in the vehicle, it in no way can typically affect engine operation.

That being said, I plan on having a tablet or a touchscreen computer interfaced with my FreeEMS system to provide realtime data display and possibly touch interface for tuning. Tablets are great in-vehicle computing platforms, for human interface. Leave the engine running to dedicated hardware, like FreeEMS based boards :)
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

malcom2073 wrote:Tablets are great in-vehicle computing platforms, for human interface.
Somewhat relevant (at least with one comment near the end following the mod):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4&feature=g-u-u

Sadly, most screens are horrible in daylight.

-Jeff
Functional
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Functional »

malcom2073 wrote:If a processor is running an OS or a display, then it's way too busy to run an engine.
I don't know if anyone has tried to use a tablet to replace an ecu, I just know that mine, (which is considered to be out dated after only 7 months), does control some sensors for gravity and magnetism and it's ROM is flashed using a similar mehtod as an ecu. And with a 1ghz cpu, 512mb RAM, about 6gb to handle video, etc... I thought it might be possible.
Also, I think you misunderstand how the ELM327 works. It interfaces with the computer in the vehicle, it in no way can typically affect engine operation.
Not by itself of course, but some software claims to have this ability when used with certain aftermarket ecu's, like:
tunerstudio.com/index.php/tuner-studio
That being said, I plan on having a tablet or a touchscreen computer interfaced with my FreeEMS system to provide realtime data display and possibly touch interface for tuning. Tablets are great in-vehicle computing platforms, for human interface. Leave the engine running to dedicated hardware, like FreeEMS based boards :)
I've seen some tablet based vehicle entertainment systems and they do seem to be the way to go. Some video glasses would be a nice addition in some instances. Having a virtual 50", or 72" screen offered with video glasses seems preferable when watching a movie. Even with a 10 inch screen, anything other than a short video online seems to wear thin after awhile. Then there's the protective film on the touch screen that shows scratches unless replaced frequently.

F.
Functional
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Functional »

ToxicGumbo wrote:
malcom2073 wrote:Tablets are great in-vehicle computing platforms, for human interface.
Somewhat relevant (at least with one comment near the end following the mod):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4&feature=g-u-u

Sadly, most screens are horrible in daylight.

-Jeff

I've seen some HUD's, (Head's Up Display), that looked pretty good for displaying instrumentation even in sunlight, but they took thier input from an obd-2 port. Some tablets do have better screens, but I don't know of any that I would recommend. It might come down to how the screen is mounted and what sort of protection it gets from direct sun.

F.
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Functional wrote:I don't know if anyone has tried to use a tablet to replace an ecu, I just know that mine, (which is considered to be out dated after only 7 months), does control some sensors for gravity and magnetism and it's ROM is flashed using a similar mehtod as an ecu. And with a 1ghz cpu, 512mb RAM, about 6gb to handle video, etc... I thought it might be possible.
It may be POSSIBLE to get an engine running on it (Assuming you had the kind of low level device control that's required, which most tablets do NOT give you access to), like it's possible to get an engine running on a 8bit arduino using their slow libraries. Doesn't mean it's proper, stable, or even remotely safe or smart to do :)

Like I said, best bet is to leave engine running to dedicated hardware, and interface with it via hardware that is made for human interface, like the tablet.
russian

Post by russian »

Do not you need a real time OS to run engine management? Otherwise you might end up downloading software updates while it's kinda time to fire up a spark... So, while the the hardware is sweet, ideally you need to get you totally custom software into it.
johntramp

Post by johntramp »

Functional wrote:I wonder if a small tablet couldn't be used as a permanent replacement for the computer in the average vehicle?
No. And I don't see how anyone could consider this a good idea, even if it was possible.