board for a Discovery 97

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
curious4h20
TO92 - Vaguely active

board for a Discovery 97

Post by curious4h20 »

Hi to Fred and all peoples.

You stated somewhere to put my hand up if I needed help so I wouldnt make big mistakes, and waste time.

So what I am thinking is fully sequentially driving a V8 cylinder 3.9L engine, controlling both fuel and ignition,
the vehicle is a LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 1997.

was considering to buy a megasquirt from here

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/RV8_Kits.html#pnp

but lump funds are hard to get so would prefer dribs and drabs, and building myself would interest me greatly.
I have been successful in helping my kids on Arduino, so I will see if I can handle a steep learning curve and pull out a few more hair follicles trying to get my head around this.

I have noticed there are few different boards out there and having trouble working out all pros and cons of units.
So firstly which board is for me.
2. Which sites do I need to read so I try and understand what is going on, before I start to ask my stupid questions.( is there any tutorial on here?) its just like the MS forums I going around in circles still. currently reading viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1166
3. prefered quality suppliers list would be nice
4. I would like to play with HHO or hydrogen addition at a later date, so any suggestions and considerations would be greatly appreciated
thanks for any input :)
bob
Fred

Re: board for a Discovery 97

Post by Fred »

Hello and welcome! Today has been, quite literally, hell, so I've not had time to answer. I'll try tomorrow, but no promises. If I've (or someone else has) not replied by end of tuesday, please bump.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

I also have a 97 V8 3.9 discovery, currently running on MS1.

AFAIK current Freems code does not cover 8 cyl fully sequential, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think semi-sequential is a more realistic goal in the medium term. If you want fully sequential you need some kind of cam sensor.

Also you need to decide how you want to do ignition. EDIS is very popular with the Rover V8 crowd and the Jaguar board looks like it will do that with some code and testing.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Correct, semi sequential + edis for ignition + jaguar = decent solution that'll be easy to support code wise. Eight cylinder fully sequential COP/CNP, at a normal user level, will have to wait for 0.4.0 release or development code leading up to it.

See these two threads about sequential/XG/0.4.0 stuff:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1084
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1700

EDIS dev is waiting on successful and conclusive results on the DeuceCoupe with current setup which should be close to good or good. Once that's fully nailed down and that vehicle is decently tuned and has done its share of testing EDIS is next on the list in that direction.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!