Bench testing trigger wheel

Free and Open Source Engine Management discussions excluding more specific things on this board.
Spudmn
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Bench testing trigger wheel

Post by Spudmn »

The following is how I turned an old hard drive into a missing tooth trigger wheel for bench testing. I was lucky enough to have some very old hard drives in storage. These drives are so old that they use a very fine stepper motors to move the head. I kept them for the stepper motors but the spindle motor had a VR on it and I thought that with a few modifications I could turn it in to a missing tooth trigger wheel.
The spindle motor already had one indentation drilled so I needed to add 6 more to make 8-1 trigger wheel.

I printed out a template on to a sticker so that I could centre punch the location of the indentations.

Next I taped up the opening of the motor. I didn't do this the first time and the metal swarf got under the motor and jammed up the movement.

I then drilled the indentations.

I put the motor back into the housing and wired it up.

You can spin the motor by hand or use a drill to drive it.

I might be hard to find a hard drive like the one I used. You may be able to use a newer hard drive and glue small magnets on the platter to make the teeth.
Fred

Re: Bench testing trigger wheel

Post by Fred »

Awesome!

Any reason why you didn't keep the motor that drove the original disk and voltage control it or pwm it or something?

I don't think I've even seen a disk like that one before, well, maybe in the history section of UoA compsci :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!