Volvo 240 Truck Ideas

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
Fred

Volvo 240 Truck Ideas

Post by Fred »

I got a parts car, and I can't stand to cut it up with a grinder and recycle it, so...

Dimensions of bits I have:

Volvo 240 sedan 1720mm door trim to door trip rear of front doors/front of rear doors, similar rear of rear doors.
ute lightweight deck 1650 excluding hinges etc
ute old hydraulic tipper deck 1700-1750 or so

They match close enough to perfect! Better than the ford courier did :-D

Specs for bits I don't have:

chassis: something big, eg prado, landcruiser, patrol, etc, strong driveline and independent front end - eg 2500 for a rolled prado on TM right now
engine: mercedies OM613 or OM648 6 cylinder common rail 6 cylinder 4v/cyl turbo diesel with big turbo nice manifolds and Baldur's ECU
trans: something 4wd and strong with low ratio and 2wd hi mode - possibly from the donor chassis, possibly adapted in

Idea:

Either 2 door ute or 4 door ute
Storage under deck aft of cab
3.5 tonne towing capacity
Fast with ample power for 4wd helis or 2wd skids or towing heavy stuff without stress
Tough chassis rust proofed with various coatings inside and out
High mounted breathers above cab and in front of deck for diff, trans, engine, etc so launching boats feasible

Most Volvo trucks are lame wellside panel steel jobs, I have an ultra tough tipper flat deck already, and it needs a chassis and cab, so... the Volvo parts car could make a great cab for it, LWB with 4 doors and comfy/stylish at the same time :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!