Holset HE351VE VGT Turbo (NO 56K)

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Holset HE351VE VGT Turbo (NO 56K)

Post by Aero »

The oil actuated garretts I don't like because of the much greater compexity especially in the hot areas of the turbine housing. The fixed vanes on the movable back plate should conduct heat away much better than the movable blades in the garrett as well.

One of the concerns people express about the garretts and high EGT's is the possibility of the vanes sticking because of thermal expansion binding where they pivot. The holset moving parts are located in the oil and water cooled center section.

I do know of at least one person who has used a powerstroke VNT in a similar manner to what I have done. I don't know how it worked in the long term for him as I can't find the thread again.

It sounds like this compressor wheel is worth 65-67lb min from what people have talked about in the holset threads on tuners.
I update this thread more often.
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/inde ... ic=96770.0
Fred

Post by Fred »

Aero wrote:It sounds like this compressor wheel is worth 65-67lb min from what people have talked about in the holset threads on tuners.
Wow, I sure hope you are right. It is the same casting as my one though isn't it? I'm pretty sure of that.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

Fred wrote:
Aero wrote:It sounds like this compressor wheel is worth 65-67lb min from what people have talked about in the holset threads on tuners.
Wow, I sure hope you are right. It is the same casting as my one though isn't it? I'm pretty sure of that.
Measurements of the compressor and turbine are:
My HE351VE. The compressor measurements are approximate since it is a 7 blade wheel.

Turbine
EX 2.357
IND 2.755

Compressor
EX 3.38
IND 2.37

Looks like a ~60mm compressor with an 85-86mm exducer.

So its not too far off in inducer size from a GT35R(61mm?), but a bit bigger exducer.
Fred

Post by Fred »

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f19 ... eware.html

metric :

compressor
inducer : 58.6
exducer : 84.6

turbine
exducer 57.7
inducer 64.8

About the same really.

According to the map I have it's good to about 550hp max and about 500hp on my engine. I hope I can get more, but I don't need more so... :-)

Fred.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

Thats the most frustrating thing about holset stuff. There are so many models, of the same series with different maps. Not clearly marked, or with any way to differentiate which ones are which. I wish I had the money to send a few off and have maps created for them.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I tend to subscribe to the "have a guess at the size" and "check to see how it goes" method :-) I'm pretty happy with the h3351cw, and once I get the bastard tuned I'll be even more happy. If that isn't good enough to do big slides safely then I'll be doing a borg warner TT setup on it with the holset and a small BB unit.

Fred.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

Fred wrote:I tend to subscribe to the "have a guess at the size" and "check to see how it goes" method :-) I'm pretty happy with the h3351cw, and once I get the bastard tuned I'll be even more happy. If that isn't good enough to do big slides safely then I'll be doing a borg warner TT setup on it with the holset and a small BB unit.

Fred.
Yeah. Lets just say this was a big experiment. Everyone says VGT turbos can't handle gasoline EGTs, not worth it ect, you have to have computer controls of you'll blow it up. :?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hey, i wasn't picking on yours at all, great choice, cant wait to see you control it well and make good use of it! no doubts about the reliability here!

Fred.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

Fred wrote:Hey, i wasn't picking on yours at all, great choice, cant wait to see you control it well and make good use of it! no doubts about the reliability here!

Fred.
Oh I wasn't referring to that. I was commenting on your "guess at the size and see how to goes" comment. Sounds alot like what I did. lol
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

I took apart my friends turbo he picked up today and clayed the VGT opening when I closed it all the way. I definitely found out why it spools so quick and muffles the exhaust so much. It closes down all the way to around 3.5cm^2 nozzle area. So variable from 3.5cm^2 all the way to 25cm^2
Here is a picture of how tight it gets. You can see how thin the clay is. Its somewhere between 1.4-1.8mm gap.