Holset HE351VE VGT Turbo (NO 56K)

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Holset HE351VE VGT Turbo (NO 56K)

Post by Aero »

Well looks like I spun a breanig tday. Knocking and lots of metal in the oil. Don't know when I will get around to doing anything with the car. I'm pretty pissed right now. Probably tear the pan off and check and make sure the machine shop didn't put the wrong rod bearings in it this time. That might be as far as I go for now.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Gutted :-(
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

Dropped the pan today. One totally destroyed rod bearing. The #2 bearing was spun around on itself and doubled up. Part of it is welded to the rod cap and part to the rod end.
Stuck to the rod cap
The part still stuck to the rod.
Rod journal

That rod bearing was destroyed beyond identification so I pulled one other rod cap. My suspicion was correct, the wrong bearings were used for the application. They used bearings for a 4/92+ build date. This revision of the eagle rods require bearings for a pre 4/92 build date motor(6 bolt vs 7 bolt) Next I need to find out what I have listed on my reciept, and raise a little hell.
This is what killed the motor the first time, I didn't get the little note that is supposed to come with these rods specifying that when I supplied the bearings ts the shop.
This time I let the machine shop pick up the bearings, and reminded them at least 7-8 times which ones were required. I'm guessing miscommunication between the shop manager, and the guy who built the motor.

I contacted eagle and they said they normally fail in the first couple thousand miles, somehow the first time around it lasted 20,000 miles. This time it only lasted about 1000.
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

That is some tough luck. That is why I put my own engines together. If it makes you feel any better, I have killed 2 4g63s so far in my life, though more due to youth and ignorance, not wrong parts. I hope someone in this situation will come clean for their f*ckup and help you out.

good luck.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

If they won't work with me I will definitely be building it myself next time. At least I will know who to blame and I won't be out as much money.
Zach
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Zach »

Bumping a really old thread about The HE351ve. I have one successfully installed on a F2T, well until I cracked a piston from a surprise lean condition :(

Anyways, it performs great, I get positive boost before 2k rpms, 12psi around 3k rpms and full 20psi at 4800rpms. I'm also holding the VGT closed with a heavy duty spring with external POS deltagate controlling boost.

The only drawback about this turbo is the size of the exhaust housing...shits massive and holds a ton of heat under the engine bay. I would love to go to the 351cw...but I'll be content for a little while with this.
joshyak
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by joshyak »

I am developing a stand-alone controller for the HE351VE. I plan on freely sharing all the information when its done. I need another actuator to finish the work. Preferably with the circuit board intact. I'll take almost anything though. Have one lying around? Name your price (within reason of course, since they are worthless to most people) . Please E-mail me at joshyaksich (at) hotmail (dot) com
Last edited by Fred on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Antispam the email address
Fred

Post by Fred »

Feel free to post a thread and keep us up to date with your progress. I'd love to hear all about it :-)
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Peter »

I'm playing with the idea of getting one of these Holset turbos for my truck. I just realized that the firing order is perfect for twin turbos 1-5-3-6-2-4. No cross over pipes needed, it already alternates between the front and back three cylinders. Too bad I already zero decked the block, and took 90 thousandths off the head.

My old man has a 6.7L Dodge Ram with a Holset on it, so I soldered into the six wires to see what's going on with my Saleae LA.

4-pin Connector
Red w/Purple 12V ignition on
Green w/white GND
Green ~2.6V CAN interface?
Yellow ~2.6V CAN interface?

3-pin Connector 2 populated
Black 2.*V ?
Green bluePortInLASoftware 2.*V Maybe some sort of secondary position sensor?

You can get the LA software from: http://www.saleae.com/downloads

The file I'm attaching is basically of a start, and idle. I have a 536MB file with full throttle 1k to 3k RPM sweeps and exhaust braking if anybody is interested. I'm not going to upload it here, because Fred would probably fly to the US to beat me like a red headed step child for putting that on his server. He probably won't even like the 23MB one on it. I'll probably replace it with a lower resolution one if he whines too much about it. It compresses down to 5.6 which isn't too bad in my opinion.

"The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 5 MiB." :-/ I'm trying to remember how much space the 5.25" floppys had. Fred probably started programming when they were still using punch cards :-) Or he just wanted me too find the best compression method for my data structure. Well CONGRATULATIONS this post took me almost whole bottle of not so good warm 2009 Bonterra Cabernet Savignon.

Edit: No file because the compression method .lzma isn't allowed. WHAT THE FUCK?! <sigh>

You might have to change .zip to .lzma to get it to decompress correctly.
Attachments
dodge.logicdata.tar.zip
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 1045 times
:-p
Fred

Post by Fred »

Peter wrote:I'm not going to upload it here, because Fred would probably fly to the US to beat me like a red headed step child for putting that on his server.
LOL
He probably won't even like the 23MB one on it. I'll probably replace it with a lower resolution one if he whines too much about it. It compresses down to 5.6 which isn't too bad in my opinion.
Zip sucks :-) zip < gz < bzip2 < lzma, as you discovered :-) Though it depends on the material to some extent. I use bz2 and tgz the most. I've not actually used lzma before :-)
"The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 5 MiB." :-/ I'm trying to remember how much space the 5.25" floppys had.
It's mostly that there are file hosting services around that you can use for free. Try megaupload.
Fred probably started programming when they were still using punch cards :-)
LOL
Or he just wanted me too find the best compression method for my data structure.
I encourage learning new things :-)
Well CONGRATULATIONS this post took me almost whole bottle of not so good warm 2009 Bonterra Cabernet Savignon.
You're welcome! I'm happy to help accelerate you along your chosen path to alcoholism and a trailer-park life :-)
Edit: No file because the compression method .lzma isn't allowed. WHAT THE FUCK?! <sigh>
Fixed!

Fred.