Holset HE351VE VGT Turbo (NO 56K)

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Holset HE351VE VGT Turbo (NO 56K)

Post by Aero »

SiFlyBy wrote:Wow. nice work. I miss my DSM. I cant wait for some vids, that thing looks wicked. is it AWD?

On another note I can confirm the problems with Garrets VGT acuation. Im a Ford Tech and we see them having problems quite freqeunlty. On the 6.0 diesels the actuator works on oil pressure and a little corrision in the housing will stop it in its tracks. The new 6.4L diesels are using an electric motor and it sweeps the entire vgt range every time the key is cylced to prevent build-up inside the housing.
Yes, its AWD. I don't think I would want one if it wasn't haha.

I didn't realize the new 6.4 was VNT as well as running compound twins.

I think the cummins sweeps the actuator too, but they still have the carbon buildup issues. Thats one reason you can pick up one of these turbos so cheap on ebay. Dealers have taken to replacing them. All these low mile turbos that just need a bit of cleaning, or a different type of actuator with more torque and are otherwise perfectly fine. The carbon problem shouldn't be nearly the issue on a gasoline engine also.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cruising lean should pretty much eliminate it all together really :-)

I didn't realise they were going cheap for that reason. Interesting info, I may have to follow your lead at some point :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

My buddy just picked one up for future use from ebay. $200.78 shipped.
Other than the ones being replaced, I think they are cheap because people are afraid of them. Its something new, and the worry about high EGT's damaging them thanks to garretts design. Which I think is an exaggeration of the weakness of them.
Running E85 ike I am should help with the carbon issue also.
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

I doubt you will have carbon issues. On the diesels it's alot to due with all the soot that passes through the turbo too. Another issue is rust in the housing on the unison ring and the vanes. Both should preventable with a good actuator. I thought that E85 was very corrosive though so there may be something to watch for.

On the 6.4L there is a low pressure turbo which is just a plain jane unit. The high pressure turbo though is VGT. The VGT actuator is its own ecu communicating on the CAN network with the PCM, where on the 6.0L it was a hydraulic actuator controlled directly by the PCM. The actuator also has a cooling system that it shares with the fuel system.

I cant believe you can get those so cheap. Don't the dealers every send any back for warranty or cores?
Aero
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Aero »

SiFlyBy wrote:I doubt you will have carbon issues. On the diesels it's alot to due with all the soot that passes through the turbo too. Another issue is rust in the housing on the unison ring and the vanes. Both should preventable with a good actuator. I thought that E85 was very corrosive though so there may be something to watch for.

On the 6.4L there is a low pressure turbo which is just a plain jane unit. The high pressure turbo though is VGT. The VGT actuator is its own ecu communicating on the CAN network with the PCM, where on the 6.0L it was a hydraulic actuator controlled directly by the PCM. The actuator also has a cooling system that it shares with the fuel system.

I cant believe you can get those so cheap. Don't the dealers every send any back for warranty or cores?
The Holset VGT is so much simpler than the Garrett VNT units, one real moving part inside the exhaust area.

E85 isn't really corrosive, its more damaging to rubber than anything. Most newer cars have ethanol compatible lines and seals at least here in the US due to the blending they have been doing for the last 20 years or so. Even though it was small amounts of blended ethanol they still required ethanol compatible lines and seals.
People tend to get methanol and ethanol confused as methanol is ighly corrosive to a wide variety of common engine materials aluminum included.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It should be fairly safe to say that by the time they reach the turbine none of them are corrosive as such and all of them are a mixture of NO(2?) HC CO CO2 and H2O :-)
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

Fred wrote:It should be fairly safe to say that by the time they reach the turbine none of them are corrosive as such and all of them are a mixture of NO(2?) HC CO CO2 and H2O :-)
a good point.
Aero wrote:People tend to get methanol and ethanol confused as methanol is ighly corrosive to a wide variety of common engine materials aluminum included
Ahh. OK. Meth, not Eth.
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

Did I read this right and you're controlling the vanes with a wastegate actuator? I'm getting more interested in this now because i have come across a Garrett VNT turbo at work.(for free)I think it would be much simpler to to use the PWM hydraulic actuator though in thi application though. Anyone have any insight on how I might do this? I am a little new to the world of computers and DIYEFI. I have MS2 in my car and I
inquired about a boost control option to diyautotune.com when i bought it in June this year, but they said it was still in the experimental stage and I really didnt want to mess with it then.

So the question is: What do I need to get control of a PWM actuator? Can I just build a circuit or is there code that needs to be written for it?

EDIT: Nevermind...looks like MS2 extra is (maybe) capable of this with the boost controller mod. :EDIT
Last edited by SiFlyBy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

Just wondering if you have done any calculations on the airflow they can supply on the original engine compared to the airflow required by your 2.4L at boost?

Not sure what formula to use for the volume at high than atmosphere conditions but I'm sure there is some sort of rough guideline. (only for curiosity sake)
Fred

Post by Fred »

The compressor side is the same as mine and is good for about 500 - 550 crank hp at 27ish psi. 57lb/min rings a bell?