Proud owner of a 'new' Audi

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
GartnerProspect
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Proud owner of a 'new' Audi

Post by GartnerProspect »

:D

I'm kinda excited. I just bought a 1989 Audi 90 quattro. I want to dump the CIS and EFI it sometime this summer if I get a chance. I'm either going to use it as a test platform for some of the hardware we'll put together here, or get it reliable and save test duty for the Subaru since it's pretty much time for retirement anyway.

I don't have any pictures yet since it's 1800 miles away... It used to be my best mates girlfriends car, then MY lady friend bought it, and now she is buying that same guys 10 year newer A6. For my trouble of lending her the funds I get the privilage of buying her 90! I did a lot of work on the 90 when my pal bought it so I was too attached to let her sell it to someone else. And for being 10 years older than my Subie, it's in a lot better shape!

I was too excited not to post up! :oops:
rprznt
TO92 - Vaguely active

Re: Proud owner of a 'new' Audi

Post by rprznt »

pics?

any ideas on a setup?
GartnerProspect

I have pics, but none online or accessable to me right now. It's pretty clean and straight for a $400 car.

Setup, I'm planning on keeping in N/A, and mostly non-modified for now. My best pal is hardcore Audi, and is moving from a Holset boosted 10vt 5000 to a twin turbo V8 5000 project currently in the works. He's going to have a few spare V8 motors and it's temping to squeeze one into the 90.

Time will tell. I unfortunately have 60-70hours a week earmarked for business. And only maybe 14 earmarked for fun (including working on my EECU design)... AND I'm halfway accross the US from home.
GartnerProspect

Picture. I can't wait to go home and play with it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I know just how you feel. Mines sitting in a 40 foot container with the door welded shut on someones front lawn in NZ and I'm here in England.

Car looks good, what did you say you paid for it?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
GartnerProspect

$400 US.

It has a long history of changing hands with people I know. Not many people have the patience to keep the CIS up to par it seems. So my gal friend bought on the cheap supposedly not running well enough to drive. It previously belonged to my best pals ex-girlfriend and she was just sick of spending money on it. A a little TLC in the parking lot it was stranded in and I drove it home. Replaced everything except the pump between the tank and the fuel distributor because it was rusted apart and spliced literally 20 times :shock:. New retrofitted GM under-hood fuel filter to replace the one under the car.

Now, for a 20 year old car, she runs like a champ! So now that same gal is buying a newer audi from the same friend of mine, so she sold it to me at cost. Yippie!

Too bad it's sitting in a snowbank back home and not securely welded in a container like yours!!

Plans include a B4 hood, maybe fenders too but I can't decide how much I like the flared front/stock back look. Thinking of getting it resprayed in the Audi pearl white color that is so classy. Also looking at 5-lug conversion options... S2 hubs, which I guess are the hot ticket for this are EXPENSIVE in the states. $150US/pair. I'm going to look at the hubs next time I'm home and determine if I can come up with anything outside the box for a 5x112 or 5x100 to replace the uncommon 4x108 pattern.

Also strongly considering a V8 again since my bud will have a few of them... And I'm a glutton for punishment... :?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Security is only an angle grinder away. However, the only people that could get away with that noisy task are the people looking after it. Hopefully I can trust them.

Did I mention the other car that I didn't weld inside a box is now in some strangers hands and I will never see it again? Nissan Skyline with suspension, brake, and driveline work :-(

I have to survive on pics of other peoples stuff :-)

So keep the pics coming!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!