Diagnosing Toyota 2RZ-E engine problems

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
Bangbug
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Diagnosing Toyota 2RZ-E engine problems

Post by Bangbug »

Wow that's hard to take in information with all that quoting :)

https://elibrary.mel.org/validate?url=h ... Fdb%3DCHLL
C4535896486 as your DL #
They have many schematics/books.

It's not working for me at the moment so perhaps another DL# would be of use.

Time for a lexus v8 in there ;)
They made some for the UN peacekeepers in the early 90's but the war sort of... finished so they donated them to the Tokyo Ambulance service, who get rid of their vehicles once they reach 100000km so a year or two. lol. so there are some factory lwb hightop v8 hiaces out there. They're pretty sweet!
It also shows that it can be done, google it and you might find a "kit" lol.
Nothing like solving small problems by creating a big fun one!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Might be harder to get away with in the eu, though. I fully endorse the recommendation, however. 1uzfe, though kinda boring and the default choice for any make/model/year of car, is a great little engine.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ehb
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ehb »

Thanks for the link and dlid Bangbug. Apparently it's still down, but I'll keep trying.

Yeah I've heard about those V8 ambulances. From what I've read (I could remember incorrectly) the engine space was widened to fit the 1uzfe. Would be awesome, but... naah ;) Hard enough to fit a 16V head in there ;)

Also: V8 Lexus in Germany.. Lexus? What's that? Really rare choice of car here too, so hard to get parts too :/ Good recommendation though, I would be lying if I'd say it hasn't crossed my mind ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

America and NZ are overflowing with them, they're about a 500euro engine, complete, at worst. Should be easy to get bits imported if you need them.
DaWaN
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by DaWaN »

I checked the biggest Dutch breakers site and 2RZ and 3RZ engines are indeed very rare. I think Germany and the Netherlands are pretty much equal in kind of parts you can get cheap. I think you should check breakers yards regularly, if anyone crashes a Hilux badly chances are that it ends on a breakers yard instead of being exported to Africa. You should look out for a 3RZ-FE engine and bolt that to your gearbox (should be pretty much direct fit).

The 1UZ-FE is obtainable here btw, there were some Lexus LS400's around here !
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

ehb wrote: It's a rare car these days, since most of them have been shipped to Africa. I also know exactly why - because it's the most practical, reliable and fun to drive bus one can own. :-)
Thread hijack: A friend was working at an orphanage and school in Liberia and his main mode of transport was a diesel truck flavor of the Hilux. He wrote an emotionally heavy book on his experiences living and working among communities that were healing from the country's second, brutal, civil war. Thought you chaps might appreciate this digression as it's probable that a variety of Hilux models in Africa found themselves in similar situations.
Jerome Cabeen: Reluctant Servant wrote:As we finished our conversation, Pa pulled the truck into a small roadside stand near an area called Cooper's Farm, which was about a fifteen-minute drive from the mission. I was confused because we obviously were not at a gas station. All I saw were jars of what looked like apple juice sitting in rows of ten on concrete blocks.

I asked, "Hey Pa, what are we getting here, something to drink?"

He parted his lips in a wide grin exposing his white teeth, a perfect contrast to the deep, smooth ebony ruts of his face. "Hey man, this ain't no juice," Pa said slapping my knee. "This ain't no juice for us to drink. This here is the diesel for the truck. Give me 2,000 LD."

I realized then that the rows of glass jars were full of diesel, not apple juice. Soon a young man appeared and jammed a large plastic funnel into our gas tank and began pouring the contents from one of the containers into our truck.

"Hey my man, diesel clean today boy?" Pa questioned the attendent.

"Diesel clean, Old Pa," said the young man.

Pa offered a warning to the young man. "Don't want to come back, you getting me now?"

"No worries Old Pa, diesel clean," was the half-hearted reply to come from the back of the truck as the attendant gave his attention to pouring fuel rather than conversation. We paid the young man and drove away. I asked Pa if this was the way it was all over the country.

He laughed again, "Hey man, you have too much to learn about Liberia."

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thread jack: I may or may not have been witness to a 44 (US 55) gallon drum of diesel being "borrowed" from a lighthouse to fuel a certain boat 20 or 30 years ago. It may or may not have been pumped empty whilst floating in the water beside the boat after possibly, or not, being hand rolled down the extremely steep piece of land upon which the light house may or may not have stood.

Thread jack 2: I may or may not have been aboard a remarkably similar vessel a fairly, but not remarkably similar number of years ago when it ran into some trouble with "diesel" that was not clean. It turns out that the diesel that ships use isn't the same at all, and is adept at clogging filters as you try to suck it through into the injector pump for burning. Some things are worth what you may or may not have paid for them, others are not.

/me goes to look up how to change the owner of this post...
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Peter »

Drip gas for the win. :-) Well sort of, it might have sent a certain FE390 to an early grave. :-/
:-p
ehb
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ehb »

Hey guys, a quick update: Useless parts dealer took two weeks to send the filters and oil, and even sent the wrong windshield wipers.
Anyways, since the parts arrived, I've been visiting two weddings and then there's real work too... So it's going to be this week that I can work on the car again.

Thanks DaWan for checking the dutch market! Indeed, searching for Lexus LS400 motor turns up a few hits, even two of those V8s in Germany.
No 3RZ-FE though... But I'll keep looking.

OT replies: I've always bought my fuel, worked for me so far ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

I was going to bump this with a "how're you getting on?", thanks :-)
ehb wrote:OT replies: I've always bought my fuel, worked for me so far ;)
So have I! But not always from the pump. The truck drank a custom blend of toluene and pump fuel since I built it. Only once did it not run on that... when it ran out all together and I filled it with pure toluene ;-) Was similarly powerful on the same (suddenly wrong) tune, but much smoother and quieter.