Trailer Improvements

Non-EMS Automotive related discussions and projects in here please.
Fred

Re: Trailer Improvements

Post by Fred »

Also, with respect those cages, they'd seen some internal impacts and abuse and had been stretched a bit etc. IE, more wire = better. Perhaps something like this or this:

25x25x4.0 galv mesh: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1725932708 (22.75kg, $101.75)
50x50x5.3 galv mesh: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1725932676 (20.00kg, $104.50)

Both about 20kg and $100 per sheet. Bother heavier in different ways than the stuff on the rentals above. Didn't measure the wire, but could.

Finer wire, finer mesh = worse impact resistance, but less stuff will slip through.
Thick wire, coarse mesh = better impact resistance, but more stuff will slip through.

Have 1360x2 + 2400x2 to do, sheets are 1200x2400, height 800 probably, best approach is probably:

sheets cut into thirds length ways
sides made of two panels of mesh with a vertical support in the middle = 4 segments for sides
2 segments left over insufficient for front and back, but only just, hmmm, deficit is 160mm
If sides protrude to front edge of front gate and back edge of tail gate, then 1360 is reduced by thickness of verticals
Using 25x50 box for verticals at each side of the front and/or rear and another the same in the middle leaves only a 10mm deficit total
And 4 places to take up the slack = 2.5mm each plus 0.5mm each of cut down the mesh - easily bridgeable with weld

Therefore I can get away with exactly 3 sheets, with that scheme or a similar one.

Images cached for the record:

DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fresh WOF on Saturday morning and proceeded to cut the trailer up and start some of the fixes.

Hitch mounting plate now has 10mm plate and 10mm gusset below with 19mm hole for the chain attachment.

Old bent stuff was 6.5mm plate and 3mm mangled gusset below. Huge improvement.

Interestingly, the box under the plate was sealed/dry for 10 or 15 years since I rebuilt it. You could still see the heat marks from welding and there was no surface rust. Nice.

Shouted the old girl a new 1.5 tonne rated shackle and fresh 1200kg chain, too. Looks mint contrasting against the black zinc primer I finished the front in.

Greased the bottom of the hitch, top of plate, and new 12.9 grade cap screws and cone-lock nuts with amsoil waterproof grease.

Changed girl. Much nicer. Safer. Better looking. Win.

Next? Probably the jockey wheel relocate downward and lighter weight. After that it's a full on rework session for a full weekend with all supplies on hand already.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Picked up most of the steel for the trailer part of this today! Need to go back next weekend and pick up a little more, then it's just a matter of time before I can get stuck in. Also need to pick up some paint for post-welding, my usual trusty black wattyl killrust aerosol, probably.

Today I got:
  • 50x50x5 angle for under-deck cross member replacement
  • 40x40x5 angle for uprights/sides of tailgate and frontgate.
  • 20mm galv pipe for tie down rails
  • 40x40x3 box for tailgate/frontgate cross members top and bottom
  • 20x10 flat bar for backing plywood in tailgate/frontgate in 3 or 4 or 5 places (and steel rack project)
Also got some random stuff:
  • 250x20x180 piece of plate for press use
  • 2 x 1.2m 10mm rod general use
  • 1.2m 12mm rod general use
  • 1.2m 8mm rod general use
  • 50x3 flat bar for tyre rack project
Next weekend:
  • 50x25 TF channel for side runners
  • ~90mm tube/pipe for vice / anvil stand project
What I don't have, and won't get until closer to the time, is the plywood decking, ply for new sides, and ply for tailgate/frontgate.

Still pondering the best choice for the deck. Either one one big sheet or epoxied tongue and groove joint making it effectively one piece.

Also don't have possible aluminium capping for sides to keep the water out of the wood. I will probably either oil or wax the timber, too. Give it a fighting chance in the wet weather.

Steel:

Fred

Post by Fred »

Ended up going with 75x40 6mm PF channel (3mm for web) for the side rails. 30kg vs 15kg for the 50x25x3 TF channel, and vastly stronger. Two pieces 2.5m long now awaiting welding into place :-)

When the time comes, I'll pick up the plywood and alloy cap, and zinc primer, pull the trailer in for the weekend, tear it apart, and start building it back up to how it should be.

Will probably tackle some of the smaller mods first, though, like spare relocate and jocky bracket removal - that'll improve the balance of it (easier to manhandle without jockey wheel) and usability of it for long stuff.

Today's steel channel: