Nifty Wideband to Check Out [JAW, old thread]

Comments, discussions, links about/to suppliers of goods and services related to DIY Engine Management Systems.
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Nifty Wideband to Check Out [JAW, old thread]

Post by AbeFM »

EDIT: I've hijacked Abe's post in this thread to link to the right place to read about widebands! Cheers, Fred!
Abe wrote:http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW.htm

Wow, not bad. $45 for a logging, programmable, multioutput wideband? Goodbye innovative, hello this thing.
Last edited by Fred on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace content with something relevant as search engines are returning this thread.
Fred

Re: Nifty Wideband to Check Out

Post by Fred »

Old news man :-)

Good idea posting it here though I guess. It's discussed and linked in multiple places on this site though. I meant for this section to be more for stuff specific to EMS building, like stims and add on boards etc.

I wouldn't say goodbye to innovate just yet though, the way the LC1/LM1 samples the sensor is patented and smarter than the others. = faster response and more accurate.

I do want to run them side by side though. Others on here have said they use them, and one guy on here has one on order to try out.

I'd like to see some DIY side by side testing of them together.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I've had a few issues with my innovative. It was reporting odd values, so I had to recal it after only a month. Another time it was just reading really lean on one output, and a flat 12.0 on the other.

I know some of the issues are MS problems, but all in all it's been 'good for the money' instead of just good.

Plus, I'd like a cheap display. :-)
thebigmacd
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by thebigmacd »

I installed one in my brother-in-law's Subaru Friday night. Works great! We are using it to emulate a narrowband for his stock ECU and will use the second output for wideband when we do his plug-n-play MS setup.
Keith MacDonald
Control Engineering (Systems) Technologist
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Which, the JAW or the innovative? If it's the prior, I'd love to hear about it.

My innovative totally lost it's calibration once, so I reflashed the hardware. I wasn't very impressed with their software, it took many reboots to make it work, and if you have the software running while you power up the device you lose all your settings.

Another time it was reporting low values, no idea why. A reboot fixed it, but combined with other, unrelated issues, it has me really worried.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Flacid, it seems to me that you have a talent for breaking things! Any truth in that? :-p ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
thebigmacd

Post by thebigmacd »

8InchesFlacid wrote:Which, the JAW or the innovative? If it's the prior, I'd love to hear about it.

My innovative totally lost it's calibration once, so I reflashed the hardware. I wasn't very impressed with their software, it took many reboots to make it work, and if you have the software running while you power up the device you lose all your settings.

Another time it was reporting low values, no idea why. A reboot fixed it, but combined with other, unrelated issues, it has me really worried.
A JAW.

My brother-in-law built it himself, having never soldered in his life and it works perfectly. It was awesome to hook it into his stock ECU and watch his check engine light disappear and the idle settle down to 14.7:1 afr +- 0.1. We don't even have the proper connector for the wideband sensor yet so we are using butt splice connectors crushed down to fit tight on the pins.

I run an LC-1 myself.
Keith MacDonald
Control Engineering (Systems) Technologist
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I'm half tempted to get one just for the guage.
GartnerProspect

Post by GartnerProspect »

Wow, that's slicker than dog poo on a rainy day.

Now it makes sense, all this talk of JAW and such...
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

Hmmmm, well, doing them side by side would be easy enough. But how do you tell which ruler is wrong? :-) I guess the first one to react is the better one.