MS forums, shenanigans

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
toalan
Wideband Wizard

MS forums, shenanigans

Post by toalan »

The other day I tried to make my first posts on the MS forums. To my dismay, moderators must check the post before it actually gets posted. I am a newbie on the MS forum, so maybe they only do that for newbies, do senior members need theirs approved by a mod before it gets posted?

Nothing irks me more than the semblance of an open forum, but in reality is so heavily moderated that it serves more as resource for misinformation disguised as information.

Regards,

Alan To
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: MS forums, shenanigans

Post by jbelanger »

As far as I know this is only for the first few posts and I don't think this is the case on the msextra forum but I may be wrong.

I actually had to do the same thing on my forum due to the number of spammers. I have even considered preventing people with Chinese addresses from registering since none of the real members are Chinese and about 99% of the spammers are using a Chinese address. But I hate the idea of racial profiling (or the web equivalent) so I moderate the first post for every new member.

I don't know how it is here or on the 14point7 forum but it is annoying.

Jean
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Post by toalan »

It used to be quite bad on my forums, I did not know the ins and outs of the forum admin panel, so I had to manually delete each post, then delete each member. Now that I can delete an account and all posts made by that account in one step, it is quite easy to keep spammers in check. I just spend about 5 minutes everyday to kill spammers.

Glad to hear that MS only does big brother on newbie members.
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by jbelanger »

toalan wrote:Glad to hear that MS only does big brother on newbie members.
Actually, that's not quite true. I have the privilege of having all of my posts on msefi and the microsquirt forum moderated personally by Lance (and mostly deleted). But I'm a special case (and so are other MS/Extra developers)...

Jean
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jean, with all due respect (lots for you, little for lance), fcuk lance.

That aside, I use recaptcha which is available in later 3.0.x phpbb releases. I get very few spammers. I think they are humans, too.

If you're not using it, try it? Maybe its just the obscurity of this forum? I don't know.

There are mods to do a 2+2 = 4 type captcha along with the standard one, too.

As for msextra, yes, just 2 posts iirc from reading somewhere. msextra is pretty good about not moderating excessively. the other ms forums are diabolical, though, due to lance, mostly. I have spotted Bruce deleting things from msextra, however, which struck me as wrong.

In the whole existance of this forum, I've "deleted" 15 posts or so, and they were all Motofab :-) They are all available for core/respected members to view, too, not actually deleted. Any disagreements and arguments are all still available to read even if they are unpleasant and detrimental to the cause. It would be lying to alter the state of a thread involving myself in a disagreement. So I won't do it. I have strong morals.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!