So...How do I keep from blowing up my scope.

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
george graves
TO220 - Visibile

So...How do I keep from blowing up my scope.

Post by george graves »

Hey guys. I picked up a new Rogold 50 MHz scope. Really like it - I'm really glad I spent the money.

Rigol DS1052E 50MHz Digital Oscilloscope

But, I've only used a scope in a few electronics classes in college. Every time it was using a battery or a bench top power supply. My question is:

- Is there anything I need to do to make sure I don't blow it up? Of course I'll be stay away from the high voltage of the coil, but I would like to be able to watch the switches earth terminal to see the coil fire. And injectors, and all the good stuff - ect.

What do I need to watch out for? If I fry this scope I won't have the funds to buy another one for several months.

Thanks!

gg
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Re: So...How do I keep from blowing up my scope.

Post by toalan »

The inputs on that scope is 1M ohm, pretty high input resistance, should be enough by itself to save you from blowing the unit most of the time. I do not know what the max voltage range on the scope is, it is probably about -40v to +40v, if you are looking at higher/lower voltage than that, then use the 10x setting to the probe to drop the signal to 10% before the signal reaches the scope. With 10x, you should be able to measure something around +/- 400v.

I have the same scope, quite a gem for the price.