Fred's 30th (and leaving work drinks) - Invite

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Fred

Fred's 30th (and leaving work drinks) - Invite

Post by Fred »

Hello All,

I know most of you are many thousands of miles from me, but I thought I'd throw this up anyway on the off chance that one of you is near by.

June 5th, London, a pub, have a drink/chat with me :-)

PM for the venue if genuinely interested, still need to finalise it anyway though.

If none of you show up the scene may look like this :

http://stuff.fredcooke.com/depressedFred.jpg

However if a few do, it could be more like this :

http://stuff.fredcooke.com/twoBottlesOfWineFred.jpg

Regards,

Fred.

ps, yes, this is a sad canvassing attempt to make it look like I have more than 2 friends in London :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
gimpy
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Fred's 30th (and leaving work drinks) - Invite

Post by gimpy »

Thanks for the invite Fred,but Mrs Gimpy & I will be returning to the Land O Flat that day after having spent a week in Ca. with our oldest,and even if you are as depressed as your pic looks I think I'd rather be there(in London)
New work prospects yet?i have been hoping you would get the time to run the ute a little.
Gimpy
Fred

Post by Fred »

gimpy wrote:and even if you are as depressed as your pic looks I think I'd rather be there(in London)
You have NO idea how hard it was for me to frown like that. I'm naturally a happy person except when I'm concentrating and then apparently I look quite mean - so my lovely lady tells me anyway. Rather be in London? Than where?? I'm struggling to think of places that I would rather be less :-)
New work prospects yet?
No, nothing yet, not looking yet hasn't helped though. I'll get started looking before I head home for sure. It would suck to get back and blow all the savings sitting around doing nothing but burnouts ;-)
i have been hoping you would get the time to run the ute a little.
I think you may be in for a treat. I expect that it won't be too long before I'm irresponsibly driving the red beast again :-)

It might take a while before you see it at a drag strip or circuit though as it still needs some work to be legal...

Fred.
gimpy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gimpy »

Fred wrote:
gimpy wrote:and even if you are as depressed as your pic looks I think I'd rather be there(in London)
Rather be in London? Than where?? :-)
Nebraska,things are in the dumpster here,gloomy weather(one of those years),work is really slow(China is eating us up)The trip to Ca. will likely be our hi point(and I dislike Ca.,to much stupid)but do get to hang with my son for a week! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think you may be in for a treat. I expect that it won't be too long before I'm irresponsibly driving the red beast again :-)

It might take a while before you see it at a drag strip or circuit though as it still needs some work to be legal...

Fred.
Thats good news,I can't wait!

Gimpy
Fred

Post by Fred »

I forgot to announce the venue!

The Wood Street Bar, funnily enough, on Wood Street between Barbican and Moorgate stations on the Circle Line in London.

www.woodstreetbar.com

If any of you happen to be floating around in London, please come and say hi! :-)

Fred.
gimpy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gimpy »

Thanks again for the invite,and a happy 30th to ya!Still wish I could come have one with ya.
Good luck in your traveling. Gimpy
MightyTwin
TO220 - Visibile

Post by MightyTwin »

I hope you had a great evening, Fred. ;)
-MightyTwin.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It was a good night :-) Plenty of people showed up, a few I hadn't seen in a long time.

Only bad thing was that I knocked a glass of red wine all over my mates wife's pale coloured top :-/ not good.

I wasn't even drunk at that point and consequently didn't drink much more as I was feeling too guilty about it and they were being far too nice...

How the last few days went :

Got to sleep about 2:30 am after packing on thursday night, got up 5:30am to get in to work on time. Got to the bar at 6pm, left to another when it closed at 11pm, left that at 130am, got to the flat we stayed on the floor at around 230am, got up again at 9am left the building 10am, got to the breakfast place 11am, got to the office to get my luggage and some files at 12, got on a train to luton at 2pm, flight left at 615pm, arrived in barcelona 930pm, got to the flat 11pm, had dinner out, got back, sat around for a bit, then went with one of my new flatmates to another guys place and met up with him and his wife and two other girls there, had a few glasses of wine, left there around 130am, got to some bar, danced and drank until 3am when it closed, wandered home, got ready for bed about 430am and found out that its not cold walking around naked (or almost) on the 5th floor balcony at 5am in barcelona, then went to bed. got up this morning, went to try to buy fresh milk, failed. had an icecream on a stick, bought some cereal, came back to the fllat, ate etc, went to the beach, got there 12ish (noon), swam for the first time in nearly 2 years, swam for 30mins or so, lay on the beach all afternoon soaking up the sun, swam again just before leaving at 630pm or so. fantastic day!!

The culture here, the way the people are with each other, is really really good. Friendly and open and welcoming. Pretty cool. It still has some downsides compared to a lightly populated place like NZ but I really like it. If I can't get work in NZ when I get back, I'll be looking to try another country, only this time one that I actually want to go to.

Firsts inside the last 24 hours :
  • first time in spain
  • first swim in ~2 years
  • first swim in the Mediterranean
  • first time home that late in maybe 10 years or so (i remember a few getting home when the sun
  • was coming up times from my teen years)
  • first time on a beach in a culture where its normal for the chics to be topless (totally non-sexual)
  • first taste of fernet and coke (italian drink, they drink it straight, the argentinians mix it)
  • first taste of mate (tea like stuff from argentina)
Fred.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by davebmw »

I'm totally gutted that I couldn't come to your 30th. :( Probably a good thing though otherwise I would have spilt wine over her too, just to see if I got away with it. lol

I know what you mean about the Spanish way, its fantastic, after taking holidays to the Costa del Sol area and Fuerteventura I would if I could, up sticks and head for the beautiful surroundings and fantastic genuine people of Spain.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1