Fred in the US of A - how does your couch look? (and smell?)

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
Fred

Fred in the US of A - how does your couch look? (and smell?)

Post by Fred »

That 10 year relationship of mine has fallen apart, partly due to FreeEMS and hours spent on it. I'm going through Europe on the way home, for a while at least. However... I'd also like to visit some yankee friends! (or rebels for those touchy about that!)

So, I'm planning to come home through the US of A! I have lined up a few places to rest my head while there already, just probing for more people that wouldn't mind me staying at theirs for a bit.

I'm trying to keep it low budget, mostly at least. Food, transport, and free couches! :-)

So far, planning to go hang with Abe for a little while, Joel for a little while, and Rob for a little while. Locations are San Diego, LA, Atlanta.

I'm *kinda* thinking about doing a road trip alone across the states between San Diego or LA and Atlanta or maybe further? Does anyone have any "you'll be killed" - "just do it" - "what a dumb idea" type advice on this?

Cheap 1k car and drive it nicely all the way? could be done?

If that doesn't happen it'll be fly into LAX, fly up to SAN, fly across to Atlanta, fly back to LA, fly home.

Let me know where you are if your couch or spare room is free. If it makes sense, maybe I'll track you down for a wine or beer!

Regards,

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Fred in the US of A - how does your couch look? (and smell?)

Post by Fred »

Dates!

Probably arrive in the US of A around beginning of September, and leave for NZ 4 - 8 weeks later?

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Also, for any ozzies reading this :

Vaguely thinking of swinging by ozzy after bouncing off home before I start looking for work and crack into the ute etc, so ozzies too if you want!

Fred.
gimpy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gimpy »

Sounds like a grand plan to me(a little envy here,I love road trips)
Are ya planning to run I-80 ?(goes from NY to San F.)I live about 3 min from it on the 100 meridian would be delighted to put ya up,no couch though,you would have to use a bed(big house ,kids off on their own)
Only advice I can give is stay on the right :mrgreen:,mayhaps a cheap GPS to make navigation easier.
Gimpy
Fred

Post by Fred »

I think you might be a bit out of "my way" (if I have one...) however the GPS advice is good as I reckon I'd get lost without one. If I choose well, maybe I can keep using it when I get home or something. That big chunk in the middle between San Diego and Atlanta looks a bit scary though, heat wise. Will a cheap shit car survive the temperatures? Will I? LOL. Sean should pipe up sooner or later, I just looked at where Arizona is (excuse my utter ignorance) and it's right on the way! What is funny is that the google directions from San Diego to Atlanta are far more simple than those from here to any given other town in England!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 57&t=h&z=5

Someone was telling me about the possibility of delivering cars for some companies that return peoples vehicles for them after they drive them from A to B and fly back without their cars. Perhaps that is a goer? If I buy one though, at least I can give it a good thrashing! :-)

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I use google navigator for my gps. I like the flexibility, however, it has its strenghts and weaknesses. I think you wouldn't mind the weaknesses.

http://www.pdafun.net/

If you plan a trip to New England, I think I can convince the wife to let you crash the couch. NE is perhaps boring compared to what you are used to. I'm also fairly boring.

However some events you may find interesting include pumkinfest in Keene NH and the pumkin boat races in Dameriscota (sp) ME

Also the White Mountains have some good driving roads. Kangamagus (sp) Hightway if I have that spelt close to correct.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

Sept would be an ideal time of year to make a cross country trip like that. There's definitely alot to see, much of which I haven't seen myself. If I had more vacation time I would offer to ride along. I would definitely investigate delivering a car to save $ if you want too. Another thing to remember is that the value varies quite a bit from E to W USA. So if you don't beet the car down too bad you might be able to pocket some $. Cash is king right now.

If you want to chill for a few days you are more than welcome to stay at my place. I have an extra bed room with a decent bed and centralized AC(I cant sleep if the house is warmer than 75). Sept is a good time of year in Az. The water is plenty warm for jet-sking, the hills in N Az are warm enough for ATVing and the track is about 8 miles aways from the house. My schedule is pretty open just let me know..........
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

@Jared

Interesting, I guess that needs two things :

A) A suitable device
B) A connection to the internet through it

It would be nice if it worked anywhere with only the GPS satellites, and if I didn't need to get a US based account to use it. Perhaps something more dull for now? Might look into that when I get home, then again, I can find anything at home without issue anyway.

Thanks for the offer also, not sure if I will make it that far north at all, if I do I will likely stop at NYC or Boston. I'm not sure if you are close to those or not, but I'm also not sure I'll even get there at all.

@Sean

Some good advice there, if I make it at all, I will definitely make it to yours, it's right in the path I'd take :-) I'll keep everyone posted!

Fred.
Oskar
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Oskar »

About the gps part.

For real time driving instructions a "real" gps navigator is probably hard to beat.

For cheapness all you need is a mobile device with gps and open-source gpsVP software.
You can download the maps you will be using via a computer for instance just by scrolling though the area you want to have at the zoom levels you want. Or if you get really lost you can just turn on your gsm data connection and get a quick map upload.
The rasterized maps take very little space.

I recently tried out gpsVP on my cellphone on a trip and was quite happy with it. Haven't tried the navigation feature though (only the gps position map plotting).
gimpy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gimpy »

Mrs. Gimpy & I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi(we're old and get lost easily :mrgreen: )used it in Calif. to plot a tour of Lodi, wine tasting,set up the trip in Nebr. a month ahead ,it worked great,even after the 5th stop :lol2: .
She planned a tour of the Wisc. Dells area 2 weeks ago for herself and a buddy, had good results.She says it paid for itself on that trip.
The machine came loaded with the US loaded on it,has internet cap. built into it,I assume to load upgrades,other maps.She won't let me play with it :shock:but it does work to check your speedo to see how far its off ;)
$1k car make the trip?Don't now prices on the east side,but if picked carefully(car with decent upkeep,oil changes ect) and not pushed to the edge all day, most likely.My son drove a Datsun(Nissan) B210 to Frisco ,started the trip with 130,000 miles on the car.Came back a year later ,drove a 82 Rabbit(Golf) back,the VW was packed to the roof,they ran it at 130 kph (80 mph) all the way,including the Nevada desert.But you know about cars Fred,likely as much or more than anybody here .
Gimpy
P.S.Fred if your plans change the offer still stands.