What happened to my local Radio Shack.

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

What happened to my local Radio Shack.

Post by SleepyKeys »

It seems they don't restock electronic components like resistors/led etc I got there an all I got was a bunch of empty cabinet doors. I have this nice 12x proto board with no components to go with it :(. I guess it's a good thing there is mail order.

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Re: What happened to my local Radio Shack.

Post by Fred »

Wow, that bad? Perhaps gearhead was right, check out the suppliers thread in the hardware section for his stores of preference.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by SleepyKeys »

gearhead wrote:well, you can pretty much forget about 'local shops' in the US. In Columbus, OH there was one shop that sold NTE transistors and Radio Shack has pretty much nothing useful. Here in Chicago, ditto, though I have not made it to the one shop in Niles, yet, to see what they have. I am pretty much set with online purchasing. I do all my electronic shopping at Digikey.com, primarily. If they do not have it, then I try Newark, Mouser, MCM, Allied and Avnet (in that order). All online. I have been able to secure some 'samples' from manufacturers on occasion, but picking ans choosing are not that good. One example is the Freescale 'portless' 4250 pressure sensor. I do not think you can get them any more as samples, but I got 5 as freebies to use as baro sensors.

$0.02
Gearhead
Sure is.

I'll second that.

Allied/Mouser/Digikey :)

Oh and this place in the san Fernando valley http://www.apexelectronic.com/
You snooze, you lose!
gross polluter
TO220 - Visibile

Post by gross polluter »

Same here in SD, every time I visit the local rat shack their drawers have less than they had on the last visit. Parts are just thrown everywhere so you have to go looking throught every drawer to find something. Digikey has been getting all of my business lately. I just wait until I rack up a >$25 order and do it all at once. Much cheaper than rat shack per part anyways.

I worked there back from 00-02 and we had a pretty healthy supply of electrical parts coming in. We were an independently owned dealer though, so the owner would bring in components from outside suppliers as well. We had good buisiness from the EE students at UCSD. The owner sold to corporate late 02 and it's gone downhill from there.