HHO, the ECU and Sensors (Hydrogen Additive)

Keep the fun and games in here for now please :-)
HODPOD
TO92 - Vaguely active

HHO, the ECU and Sensors (Hydrogen Additive)

Post by HODPOD »

Does anyone have experience introducing a little HHO (Hydrogen+Oxygen) into the air intake? I have been experimenting with this, and it works... but my ECU fights me.

The HHO is introduced through the air intake (easy) ... and helps the fuel mix burn 100% clean ... BUT the O2 sensor tells the ECU that I'm "running lean" and MORE fuel is enjected to compensate for the clean burn.

I need to somehow manage this through a piggy-back device in front of the ECU and behind the sensors... or with a replacement ECU.

Anyone have any suggestions?

HODPOD, Atlanta
jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: HHO, the ECU and Sensors (Hydrogen Additive)

Post by jbelanger »

This is not what you want to hear but my suggestion is for you to get rid of this so-called HHO setup and start learning (more?) about physics. You also need to learn how an O2 sensor works.

Jean
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'm also a browns gas skeptic, however, I do see a potential for a cleaner burn, and perhaps an increase in efficiency. So even though I'm a skeptic, I do see some potential.

Some ways to trick your current ECU, relative to the O2 sensors include adding a diode for a voltage drop. I seem to recall running lean means more O then expected, so a higher O2 reading. I seem to recall a germanium diode drops about .3v. So you could drop the V by adding a diode. Another way that would allow some adjust-ability would be to use an op-amp as a non-inverting amplifier. Adjusting the gain would allow some warping of the signal.

Most ECU's have some form of a "limp home" mode. If you simply disconnect the sensor it will likely ignore the signal, and work off of an ideal value. Granted this makes it open-loop, but would allow intake modifications to actually work.
Fred

Post by Fred »

DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!